Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to temporarily work in canada

Electrician wanting to temporarily work in canada

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

jfeeney102 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician wanting to temporarily work in canada

Hi, I'm a 21 year old electrician and live in the Isle of Man. I'm looking to go to canada near the end of the year but not quite sure what exams I may have to take over there. I've completed a 4 year apprenticeship and got the latest 17th edition 2330. I've also just completed the 2391 inspection and testing course which i'm awaiting my results but fairly confident about. I qualified August 2009 so will of had 2 years qualified experience by the time I want to go to Canada. Do I find a job and get a work permit or get a holiday working visa or is there another option. I'm only planning on working in Canada for 6-12 months so don't think a federal skilled visa is the way I need to go. I think my preferred part of Canada may be toronto. Any help will be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:56 am
Just Joined

sparkyinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician wanting to temporarily work in canada

Originally Posted by jfeeney102
Hi, I'm a 21 year old electrician and live in the Isle of Man. I'm looking to go to canada near the end of the year but not quite sure what exams I may have to take over there. I've completed a 4 year apprenticeship and got the latest 17th edition 2330. I've also just completed the 2391 inspection and testing course which i'm awaiting my results but fairly confident about. I qualified August 2009 so will of had 2 years qualified experience by the time I want to go to Canada. Do I find a job and get a work permit or get a holiday working visa or is there another option. I'm only planning on working in Canada for 6-12 months so don't think a federal skilled visa is the way I need to go. I think my preferred part of Canada may be toronto. Any help will be greatly appreciated thank you.

Depends from province to province, in BC some places wanted sparkies with the Red Seal (funny thing was alot of canadians didnt even have it themselves!) I think it is now a 4 hour exam with 120 questions that focuses heavily on there wiring rules
there is a cd called ESAT which has practise questions....
you can find this cheaper on craigslist or might even be able to get another sparkie there to lend it to you

I think the pass mark is 70% they split the electrical trade exam in construction and industrial

so you kind of have to pick which one you want to work in

LOTS of people from UK Aus etc worked without the red seal

the work there is quite different and I would say the safety and conditions dont tend to match either......

Last edited by sparkyinoz; Jan 10th 2011 at 12:59 am.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

jfeeney102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that I will look into it.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:47 am
Just Joined

sarbon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jfeeney102
are you still in isle of man and want some temporary work there?