Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

I have been granted visa (electrician) but will I be allowed to work in my field?

I have been granted visa (electrician) but will I be allowed to work in my field?

Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have been granted visa (electrician) but will I be allowed to work in my field?

Hello guys, is there anybody among you who could shed light into my question? I have British 17th edition (UK qualification for electricians) but does it mean that I will automatically get an Australia equivalent?
Old Aug 12th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I have been granted visa (electrician) but will I be allowed to work in my field?

Originally Posted by jimcz
Hello guys, is there anybody among you who could shed light into my question? I have British 17th edition (UK qualification for electricians) but does it mean that I will automatically get an Australia equivalent?
Hi there,
In a word, No. You will have to undertake some form of gap training to become
familiarised with their wiring regulations and ways of doing things. This varies greatly between States in OZ. Let us know what State you intend to reside in so we can point you in the right direction. Also, I'm presuming you've been issued with an OTSR issued by VETASSESS or, did you obtain your visa on a spouse's application?
Regards Derren
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: I have been granted visa (electrician) but will I be allowed to work in my field?

Thanks for your response. The problem is that I haven't decided yet what state I would start looking for a job. My assessment was done by TRA, not VETASSESS. And all I've got is a sheet of paper that helped me to get my visa. Is there really such a big difference among individual states?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your response. The problem is that I haven't decided yet what state I would start looking for a job. My assessment was done by TRA, not VETASSESS. And all I've got is a sheet of paper that helped me to get my visa. Is there really such a big difference among individual states?
Hi there,
So, if you were assessed by the TRA then you are either not a UK citizen or you were assessed as an Electrician special class. Either way your first step is to apply to the TRA again for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC). As you have already been assessed by the TRA for migration purposes then you won't have to pay the $300 application fee.
Once you have an ARTC then you can undertake the required gap training to obtain a full licence.
In WA this can be achieved by attending a two week course in Perth.
In SA you can do the wiring regs course at PEER in Adelaide.
QLD, NSW and VIC require you to attend a TAFE (college) and also to have on the job training so that you can fill out a log book and this can take anything from 3 months to a year.
I'm not sure of the requirements of NT, ACT and TAS but I would imagine they're not to dissimilar from QLD, NSW and VIC.
Regards Derren

Last edited by derren7; Aug 13th 2011 at 2:46 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for your comprehensive answer, I really appreciate it.

You’re right in both assumptions, I’m not a UK citizen (I’m surprised you didn’t recognize it from my broken English and I have electrician special class classification.

I’d have last question if you don’t mind. If I got AUS qualification in the state where it seems to have the least hassle (probably WA) but later decided to work somewhere else, is it easily transferable to another state?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again for your comprehensive answer, I really appreciate it.

You’re right in both assumptions, I’m not a UK citizen (I’m surprised you didn’t recognize it from my broken English and I have electrician special class classification.

I’d have last question if you don’t mind. If I got AUS qualification in the state where it seems to have the least hassle (probably WA) but later decided to work somewhere else, is it easily transferable to another state?
Hi there,
Under the terms of the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 licence holders of one State are entitled to the equivalent licence in another State. So, if you hold a WA A grade licence then you should be entitled to be issued with an A grade licence in all the other States should you want to move there.
Also under the terms of mutual recognition you can you use your WA licence to work in all other States but most employers require that you hold the respective licence of the State that you are working in.
However, some feedback on this site and others suggest that the QLD and VIC licencing boards are refusing to issue licences to SA licence holders who have attended PEER.
Also, there has been one thread that suggested that the QLD licencing board refused to issue a licence to a WA licence holder but the responses to that thread indicated that other applicants from WA had no trouble at all.
Sorry if this is causing more confusion but it's best to be aware of the potential pitfalls.
Regards Derren
Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

peteandkateoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi there,
So, if you were assessed by the TRA then you are either not a UK citizen or you were assessed as an Electrician special class. Either way your first step is to apply to the TRA again for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC). As you have already been assessed by the TRA for migration purposes then you won't have to pay the $300 application fee.
Once you have an ARTC then you can undertake the required gap training to obtain a full licence.
In WA this can be achieved by attending a two week course in Perth.
In SA you can do the wiring regs course at PEER in Adelaide.
QLD, NSW and VIC require you to attend a TAFE (college) and also to have on the job training so that you can fill out a log book and this can take anything from 3 months to a year.
I'm not sure of the requirements of NT, ACT and TAS but I would imagine they're not to dissimilar from QLD, NSW and VIC.
Regards Derren
Hi Derren,
We're currently in the process of getting our perm visa under general Electrician. We have been told as we are going to Perth WA that I'll have to do on the job training for 12months before getting my 'a' class. With the quote above what 2 week course exists in WA so I can get my 'a' class and what is the course cost?

Many Thanks Pete
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peteandkateoz
Hi Derren,
We're currently in the process of getting our perm visa under general Electrician. We have been told as we are going to Perth WA that I'll have to do on the job training for 12months before getting my 'a' class. With the quote above what 2 week course exists in WA so I can get my 'a' class and what is the course cost?

Many Thanks Pete
Hi Pete,
You can do the 2 week course at CET in Perth to gain a WA A grade Electrical licence. Read this LINK for step by step info. I've also attached a document about course content. Costs, if you have a PR visa then you may able to have the course subsidised and pay only $160 as opposed to the $900 odd, although you'll still have to buy a set of books which will cost around $400 plus all the other admin fees.
Regards Derren
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Electrical+Trade+Licence.pdf (146.3 KB, 680 views)
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

peteandkateoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Pete,
You can do the 2 week course at CET in Perth to gain a WA A grade Electrical licence. Read this LINK for step by step info. I've also attached a document about course content. Costs, if you have a PR visa then you may able to have the course subsidised and pay only $160 as opposed to the $900 odd, although you'll still have to buy a set of books which will cost around $400 plus all the other admin fees.
Regards Derren
That is fantastic thank you, best info we have actually receieved yet, cheers mate! Pete