Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician - Experience??!?!?

Electrician - Experience??!?!?

Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

immortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really nice
Default Electrician - Experience??!?!?

Hi,

I am going to be studying for my qualifications to become a fully qualified UK Electrician. I have the funds to do it and it will take me about 8-9 months all in all. My mate is a self employed sparky and has said he can give me a job and will obviously be doing more in depth thingd as my knowledge gets better.

What i want to know is.... I have been told i need 2yrs experience to pass the vetassess. If my course takes 12 months (to be safe) , can i count the years experience with my mate towars the 2 yrs , so for example if i started working for him and started the course at the same time (April 2008) and then completed the course in 12 months , could i then apply to vetassess 2yrs from April 2008 , or do i have to wait 2yrs from the day i am fully qualified?

Matt
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:28 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician - Experience??!?!?

Originally Posted by immortalbeast
Hi,

I am going to be studying for my qualifications to become a fully qualified UK Electrician. I have the funds to do it and it will take me about 8-9 months all in all. My mate is a self employed sparky and has said he can give me a job and will obviously be doing more in depth thingd as my knowledge gets better.

What i want to know is.... I have been told i need 2yrs experience to pass the vetassess. If my course takes 12 months (to be safe) , can i count the years experience with my mate towars the 2 yrs , so for example if i started working for him and started the course at the same time (April 2008) and then completed the course in 12 months , could i then apply to vetassess 2yrs from April 2008 , or do i have to wait 2yrs from the day i am fully qualified?

Matt

2 years from the date your qualified

and your formal qualification has to have been a minimum of 900hrs thats the classroom bit on its own,

personally i`d ask this question to an agent who is a tra / vetts expert as i personnally dont know wether they would accept someone with only a years training, my gut feeling is that they wont but like i said i`d pay and find out the definative answer form some one who does

best of luck
regards steve
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

immortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really nice

Cheers Steve,

Dont happen to know any TRA or Vetassess experts?

Matt
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immortalbeast
Cheers Steve,

Dont happen to know any TRA or Vetassess experts?

Matt

George Lombard or Alan Collett.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=8124
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=2105

You'll have to contact them away from the forum though, as some idiot decided to hassle them and now they don't post anymore
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road

can anyone confirm that you must have 2 years experience from when qualified to take the vetasses?

i rang them and the guy said i can sit it straight away (passing it is another matter)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jonnyd
can anyone confirm that you must have 2 years experience from when qualified to take the vetasses?

i rang them and the guy said i can sit it straight away (passing it is another matter)
If you have no formal training, you have to have two years experience at least. If you are not formally trained and have only one years work experience then you have no chance!

Look at the following link:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a

This tells you everything you need to know. There is a lot to ready but some really worthwhile stuff in there!