Electrical Technician

Old Mar 22nd 2023, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

MO_90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Technician

Hi Everyone.

Literally just starting to get the ball rolling on moving from the UK to Australia to live and work. My wife is a nurse and it seems she will have no issues with finding work.

However, for me, it looks less promising. For a start, I'm not a qualified electrician. I've been an electrical technician working on UPS and battery systems. Servicing, commissioning, fault finding and DC (battery) cabling and installations. AC installation I can do no bother, running a cable from a DB to fixed equipment etc but I very much doubt that me saying this will cut it with potential employers. Basically, electrical contractors sub-contracted the UPS install to us, we would tie in with their Electricians on site and show them where we wanted our 3phase supplies terminated and then we would do the rest and win a service contract after completing commissioning work.

It looks like all service technician roles require an electrical license and I don't think my qualifications meet the Australian standards.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it a definite requirement or do Australian employers put people through the training etc

Qualifications: 18th edition, NVQ level 3 engineering maintenance(modern Apprenticeship) HNC electrical engineer
Old Mar 24th 2023, 2:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Technician

Originally Posted by MO_90
Hi Everyone.

Literally just starting to get the ball rolling on moving from the UK to Australia to live and work. My wife is a nurse and it seems she will have no issues with finding work.

However, for me, it looks less promising. For a start, I'm not a qualified electrician. I've been an electrical technician working on UPS and battery systems. Servicing, commissioning, fault finding and DC (battery) cabling and installations. AC installation I can do no bother, running a cable from a DB to fixed equipment etc but I very much doubt that me saying this will cut it with potential employers. Basically, electrical contractors sub-contracted the UPS install to us, we would tie in with their Electricians on site and show them where we wanted our 3phase supplies terminated and then we would do the rest and win a service contract after completing commissioning work.

It looks like all service technician roles require an electrical license and I don't think my qualifications meet the Australian standards.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it a definite requirement or do Australian employers put people through the training etc

Qualifications: 18th edition, NVQ level 3 engineering maintenance(modern Apprenticeship) HNC electrical engineer
Why do you think it is less promising for you? There is definitely plenty of work around.

I posted a couple of links in your thread in the main Australia forum. As said there, I was indentured apprentice, ONC / HNC, working as electrical and control tech. Skills assessment was as Electrician special class (with Vic Uni), gap training and log book in SA.

Since completed a degree and now working as Elec Eng but still getting approaches for a variety of roles. There are lots of renewable energy projects in all states - as well as roles in manufacturing / food / FMCG. Also mining and other FIFO roles if you want it.

One thing is the state you live / do your licensing in can have an impact. There is recognition of out of state licenses for working in a state you do not live in
Old Mar 24th 2023, 7:44 am
Just Joined

MO_90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Why do you think it is less promising for you? There is definitely plenty of work around.

I posted a couple of links in your thread in the main Australia forum. As said there, I was indentured apprentice, ONC / HNC, working as electrical and control tech. Skills assessment was as Electrician special class (with Vic Uni), gap training and log book in SA.

Since completed a degree and now working as Elec Eng but still getting approaches for a variety of roles. There are lots of renewable energy projects in all states - as well as roles in manufacturing / food / FMCG. Also mining and other FIFO roles if you want it.

One thing is the state you live / do your licensing in can have an impact. There is recognition of out of state licenses for working in a state you do not live in
thanks old sparkles, you've been very helpful.

My main gripe is that I want to secure employment before heading over or at least know that I can find work as a serve technician without an electrical license.

In your experience is this realistic? It seems an electrical license is to prove you are an electrician which I am not...
Old Mar 24th 2023, 8:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MO_90
thanks old sparkles, you've been very helpful.

My main gripe is that I want to secure employment before heading over or at least know that I can find work as a serve technician without an electrical license.

In your experience is this realistic? It seems an electrical license is to prove you are an electrician which I am not...
You don't have to be a house basher / roof rat to be an electrician.

You will need an electrical license to do electrical work here.

Because there are shortages of skilled people, there is a chance you will find something - I have definitely seen Skill Shortage Solutions offering to sponsor.

That said, getting skills assessment and PR visa is the safest option. Once you have that, finding an employer can be easier.