Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical Licence!! There is hope

Electrical Licence!! There is hope

Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Plastic Paddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Licence!! There is hope

Just a quick message of hope for anyone out there trying to get their electrical licence, I moved to Qld a little over a year ago and while I have been lucky that a lot of things have worked out for me, I also owe a lot to the guys posting on this forum for the excellent advice they give.
By getting in contact with QET ( I would have went the TAFE route otherwise) and filling out my logbook I had my Electrical mechanics licence in about 12 weeks. Getting logbook work was a pain in the arse but I rang up sparks and offered my services for free, I ended up with two different contractors, one even paid me. I did my study and passed the exam first go. One year on, things are going good I have a good job and a house ''near'' the beach.
My advice to anybody coming over here is, do your research, take note of what is being posted on this forum and most of all stay positive. Moving country is scary enough without getting bogged down in Aussie bureaucracy.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

Frazer56754 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical Licence!! There is hope

Happy days good stuff mate. I agree without the help from the good people of BE I would be fooked.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:44 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
Just a quick message of hope for anyone out there trying to get their electrical licence, I moved to Qld a little over a year ago and while I have been lucky that a lot of things have worked out for me, I also owe a lot to the guys posting on this forum for the excellent advice they give.
By getting in contact with QET ( I would have went the TAFE route otherwise) and filling out my logbook I had my Electrical mechanics licence in about 12 weeks. Getting logbook work was a pain in the arse but I rang up sparks and offered my services for free, I ended up with two different contractors, one even paid me. I did my study and passed the exam first go. One year on, things are going good I have a good job and a house ''near'' the beach.
My advice to anybody coming over here is, do your research, take note of what is being posted on this forum and most of all stay positive. Moving country is scary enough without getting bogged down in Aussie bureaucracy.
top news mate
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:37 am
Just Joined

familyfirst is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my brother in law has just landed in oz on a spouse visa.
He was declined an ARTC because he did not do an apprentiship, but got all UK qualifications through night school in uk. However he was approx 6 months off the required amount of years of working as an electrician to be sucessful in getting his ARTC. Basically did you do anything this end to bump up their requirements? He is living just north of Brisbane and is really in need of finding a way through to working as an electrician. He was working for himself in England and yet not even able to get ARTC here yet. Very frustrating!
Any help or advice would be hughly appreciated.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Plastic Paddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by familyfirst
Hi, my brother in law has just landed in oz on a spouse visa.
He was declined an ARTC because he did not do an apprentiship, but got all UK qualifications through night school in uk. However he was approx 6 months off the required amount of years of working as an electrician to be sucessful in getting his ARTC. Basically did you do anything this end to bump up their requirements? He is living just north of Brisbane and is really in need of finding a way through to working as an electrician. He was working for himself in England and yet not even able to get ARTC here yet. Very frustrating!
Any help or advice would be hughly appreciated.
I came out on a spouse visa also but I had no trouble with the ARTC.
It might be a long shot but if he was only six months off the rquired period maybe he could look for an adult apprenticeship with one of those apprenticeship companies, as everthing is competency based here he might be able to rpl a lot of the course and fast track his apprenticeship. Don't know if it works that way but it would be worth looking at as a means to an end.