Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

transferring SA license to WA - could be a problem.

transferring SA license to WA - could be a problem.

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice
Default transferring SA license to WA - could be a problem.

just seen this on another website.
check out page 5 (fishing for a license) - http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...ulletin_47.pdf

seems you cant transfer from sa to wa without doing some extra tests.

kind of makes the peer route useless now?

Last edited by leeob77; Sep 3rd 2009 at 6:37 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice
Default Re: transferring SA license to WA - could be a problem.

Originally Posted by leeob77
just seen this on another website.
check out page 5 (fishing for a license) - http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...ulletin_47.pdf

seems you cant transfer from sa to wa without doing some extra tests.

kind of makes the peer route useless now?
er not really...........i`m asuming

quote from page 5

In most such cases, the applicant is
from overseas and presents initially
with an Australian Recognised
Trade Certificate issued by Trade
Recognition Australia stating
they are qualified as an electrical
fitter only. Clearly such applicants
will not have the required twelve
months practical installing

it states "electrical fitter".......which i suppose could be a problem,but what if your ARTC is for elctrical mechanic???????

another 1 for stev`o to sort
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Whoah !! Please tell me this isn't rue. We've spent months waiting to get him to Adelaide, he's going in a couple of weeks to get his licence.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
Whoah !! Please tell me this isn't rue. We've spent months waiting to get him to Adelaide, he's going in a couple of weeks to get his licence.
mechanic or fitter????
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

fitter.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Have just been speaking to them and she said that under the Mutual Recognition between SA and WA, he can still get his Licence. However once he applies to transfer it, the Electrical Licencing Board will decided case by case if they require futrther training before issuing the Licence. Am sure he'll be fine as he's been doing this for over 22 years and can do it with his eyes shut, but it's still worrying. After all this time and money. He's not been able to work as an Electrician since we got here a year ago, so am hoping and praying he'll just get through.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Have just been speaking to them and she said that under the Mutual Recognition between SA and WA, he can still get his Licence. However once he applies to transfer it, the Electrical Licencing Board will decided case by case if they require futrther training before issuing the Licence. Am sure he'll be fine as he's been doing this for over 22 years and can do it with his eyes shut, but it's still worrying. After all this time and money. He's not been able to work as an Electrician since we got here a year ago, so am hoping and praying he'll just get through.
i take it he`s got ARTC..............if so.........how come he didnt apply for mechanic? especially with all that experiance
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, got ARTC. My heads gone now, he could be a Mechanic, can't think straight. He's not domestic though, he worked as an Industrial Maintenance Electrician.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, got ARTC. My heads gone now, he could be a Mechanic, can't think straight. He's not domestic though, he worked as an Industrial Maintenance Electrician.
suppose it depends on what you class as domestic !! installation?? new build??

did he just do maintenance? or industrial installaltion?? sorry its a head killer !!

i got my artc through a couple of weeks ago for mechanic, i`m in installation myself,newbuild,commercial and industrial.

what we really need here is a spark thats been working over here for a few years to actually define what installation types there are and what maintenance is also.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy
did he just do maintenance? or industrial installaltion??
Fault finding, breakdowns etc. He has done installation but the majority of his work was breakdowns. Have checked and yes, he is classed as a fitter. Think it's because all his experience would have been industrial maintenance and not installation.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

you said earlier in the post he`s hoping to go in the next couple of weeks..........same here..........i`m about 3/4 way through my work book so i`m thinkin of booking on in the next couple of days,lemme know if he wants some company i`m in north perth by the way.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

He finished his workbook a few weeks back but hasn't been able to take time off yet. We're moving house this weekend but once we're sorted he wants to get it over with asap. Will let you know when he's ready to committ. If you book in the meantime, let me know and I'll pass it on. Good luck with it.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Mike Mitchell 1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

I am a maintenance electrician and got classified as a electrical fitter on my ARTC but if you go the PEER route the classification doesn't matter because as long as you have an ARTC and complete the course, your SA licence states Electrical worker can perform any electrical work, this is the equivalent to a fitter/mechanics licence. I am in Queensland and have been working for 8 month's on my SA licence.

Hope this clears are few things up

Mike
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981
Hi guys

I am in Queensland and have been working for 8 month's on my SA licence.

Hope this clears are few things up

Mike
Mike,

Did you not have to get the SA licence transfered to QLD? If you did, what was the cost involved?

Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Mike Mitchell 1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LisaIan
Mike,

Did you not have to get the SA licence transfered to QLD? If you did, what was the cost involved?

Cheers
No you don't need to transfer it all Licences are now inter state and it states what the licence is equivalent to on the DEIR .GOV website. I already had work so I haven't bothered changing it but I know that most employers aren't aware of this ruling and they always ask for a queensland licence. I believe it's around $50 but I am not entirely sure.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.