Electrical Licence

Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

SamG123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Licence

Hi

My names sam,
I am new to this forum , I have just moved out to Australia on a one year working holiday visa with my partner and her family who are permanent residents and emigrated to 0z over three years ago, we will shortly be in the process of changing my visa so that I can live in Australia permantly.

I am a 17th edition qualified Electrician with City and Guilds 2300, AM2, NVQ L3 and I have completed a four apprenticeships and we are finding it very difficult to work out the best way to get me a TRA certificate in order to get my electrical licence.
My partners father is a lift engineer and he had to get an electricians licence to carry out his work so he has a better understanding on the requirements than I do , the problem is a lot has changed since when he moved out here and my age is against me as I am 21 and I am newly qualified with 5 years experience.

We are based in Cairns in Queensland ,and we are thinking of moving to Perth we need some advise to work out the best way to get my TRA certificate in order to get my electrical licence. I am prepared to fly anywhere in 0z to get it.

We are getting frustrated phoning up people and not getting any answers.
Has anyone had this situation before and can offer me any advice?

Any help would be great, thanks
Sam
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Electrical Licence

Originally Posted by SamG123
Hi

My names sam,
I am new to this forum , I have just moved out to Australia on a one year working holiday visa with my partner and her family who are permanent residents and emigrated to 0z over three years ago, we will shortly be in the process of changing my visa so that I can live in Australia permantly.

I am a 17th edition qualified Electrician with City and Guilds 2300, AM2, NVQ L3 and I have completed a four apprenticeships and we are finding it very difficult to work out the best way to get me a TRA certificate in order to get my electrical licence.
My partners father is a lift engineer and he had to get an electricians licence to carry out his work so he has a better understanding on the requirements than I do , the problem is a lot has changed since when he moved out here and my age is against me as I am 21 and I am newly qualified with 5 years experience.

We are based in Cairns in Queensland ,and we are thinking of moving to Perth we need some advise to work out the best way to get my TRA certificate in order to get my electrical licence. I am prepared to fly anywhere in 0z to get it.

We are getting frustrated phoning up people and not getting any answers.
Has anyone had this situation before and can offer me any advice?

Any help would be great, thanks
Sam
Hi Sam,
In my experience of dealing with any large organisation you have to be prepared to talk to at least 10 numpties before you eventually talk to someone who either, is prepared to help , or knows their job properly.
You can apply for an ARTC from www.deewr.gov.au
You don't need to go anywhere . Just fill in the application form and submit with copies of trade certs and a detailed reference from your employer(s) and any other documents to back up your claim ,ie. JIB card.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me, I will contact TRA again on Monday and see what they say as my partner has explained to TRA that I completed a formal apprenticeship of 4 years and have got qualifcations to prove I am a Qualified Electrician and a electricians gold JIB card, but when she spoke to them they said I still needed 7 years exprence and I only have 5 years . They told her that I shouldn't bother applying as I will be wasting my money.

So now I am a bit confused as to what to do thanks Sam
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
what is the difference between an electrical fitters licence and a electrical mechanics licence and which one would you suggest to apply for based on my electrical background ? (please see previous post)

Thanks Sam
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi,
what is the difference between an electrical fitters licence and a electrical mechanics licence and which one would you suggest to apply for based on my electrical background ? (please see previous post)

Thanks Sam
Hi Sam,
An electrical fitter's licence is basically, the equivalent of a maintenance spark, and a mechanic is an installation spark. You really want the mechanic as a fitter's will restrict the scope of work that you can do.
With regards to the 7 years experience required, if this is true, then the TRA should reword the statement on their website and application form which states "must have served an appropriate formal apprenticeship ORhave seven years on the job experience in an electrical trade".
It makes no mention of subsequent work experience for those who have completed an apprenticeship. I have sent an email to the TRA ,as I have a few enquiries of my own,so hopefully, they might be able to clarify.
Will let you know their response. Won't be until Monday at least.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:11 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Sam,
An electrical fitter's licence is basically, the equivalent of a maintenance spark, and a mechanic is an installation spark. You really want the mechanic as a fitter's will restrict the scope of work that you can do.
With regards to the 7 years experience required, if this is true, then the TRA should reword the statement on their website and application form which states "must have served an appropriate formal apprenticeship ORhave seven years on the job experience in an electrical trade".
It makes no mention of subsequent work experience for those who have completed an apprenticeship. I have sent an email to the TRA ,as I have a few enquiries of my own,so hopefully, they might be able to clarify.
Will let you know their response. Won't be until Monday at least.
Regards Derren
bit long winded but hear goes

firstly you`ll need an artc not a tra cert dont mix te two up asthe first is for migration only the second is for licencing purposes

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...Pages/faq.aspx

to re-iterate the 7 years is for people with no formal qualifications
( see section 4 of the electrical trades document below )
the problem we have here with beuracratic organistaions ( in my opinion ) is
that everyone in these organisations seems to interprete the rules "as they see it" rather than refuring to the actual rules n regs

the actual rules copied from the artc website regarding the UK

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...Documents.aspx

UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
A resident of Australia may be regarded as eligible for an ARTC under the TRR Act, if they comply with the following criteria:

Electrical Trades
The person must be at least 19 years of age and have:
1. completed successfully an apprenticeship, or equivalent traineeship, including successful completion of appropriate formal training(3), in the electrical trades and, if necessary, had a period of employment experience on work ordinarily performed by a tradesperson in that classification(2) which, together with the period of apprenticeship, totals not less than 4 years; or
2. completed the training program for an electrical craftsman prescribed by any Industry Training Board approved by the Central Trades Committee, including successful completion of appropriate formal training(3), received the Craftsman's Certificate and had a period of employment experience on work ordinarily performed by a tradesperson in that classification(2) which, together with the period of training, totals not less than 4 years; or
3. been a regular serviceperson and reached the standard contained in the agreement between the Service and relevant Union for recognition as a skilled electrical tradesperson; or
4. according to the guidelines adopted from time to time by Central Trades Committees, satisfied a Skills Assessor who is an electrical tradesperson, or a non‐electrical Skills Assessor on the advice of a qualified electrical tradesperson, that the person:
(a) has been employed for not less than 7 years on work ordinarily performed by an electrical tradesperson in that classification(2); and,
(b) is capable of performing the work of that classification in Australia.

Endnotes
(1) An apprenticeship in the engineering trades is to be interpreted as including any period of fulltime schooling after the age of 16 which is specified on a deed of Apprenticeship or Certificate of Completion of Training or other documentary evidence as part of an Apprenticeship of 4 years duration under the provisions of the agreement between the Engineering Employers Federation and the Confederation of Shipbuilding and Engineering Union.
(2) Any period of formal training in a Government Training Centre and any subsequent in‐plant training or improvership shall be taken into account in reckoning the period of employment for the purpose of this paragraph.
(3) (a) The appropriate formal training is the level 2 certificate from the City and Guilds of London Institute, or equivalent.
(b) Applicants who have not completed appropriate formal training are required to satisfy a Skills Assessor that they are capable of performing the work of that classification in Australia.

as part of your application you will need to really spell out what you have done amd when

use the artc`s own statement as a guide

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of? You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the same range of work at the same level of skill as a tradesperson trained in Australia.
The work of a tradesperson includes:
reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and/or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have sufficient theoretical or underpinning knowledge of the trade.

and you wont go far wrong

hope this helps

steve

Last edited by steve`o; Jan 22nd 2011 at 12:14 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Another question? regarding the electrical fitter/electrical mechanic licence? if I was awarded the electrical mechanics licence via TRA would it still be a 1year restricted licence? ie would I have to work under the supervision of a qualified electrician. Also would this temporary licence make it any easier when applying for my full licence. Big Thanks to everyone for there help so far sam
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:48 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Another question? regarding the electrical fitter/electrical mechanic licence? if I was awarded the electrical mechanics licence via TRA would it still be a 1year restricted licence? ie would I have to work under the supervision of a qualified electrician. Also would this temporary licence make it any easier when applying for my full licence. Big Thanks to everyone for there help so far sam
you dont get a licence from the artc / tra mate it comes from licencing dept of the electrical safty office, your artc is needed to apply for a licence

see

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-a...es-of-licences
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Sorry steve-o let me re explain, When you receive an ARTC and it is granted as a Electrical Fitter OR Electrical Mechanic I believe this entitles you to apply for a electrical work training permit for one year with conditions and are able to work under the supervision of an appropriately licensed electrical worker

Within this time frame you are expected to pursue your full licence. As in previous question if ARTC was granted as lets say: Electrical Mechanic would this in anyway make it easier to apply for full licence or doesnt it matter which ARTC is granted

Thanks again

Sam
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry steve-o let me re explain, When you receive an ARTC and it is granted as a Electrical Fitter OR Electrical Mechanic I believe this entitles you to apply for a electrical work training permit for one year with conditions and are able to work under the supervision of an appropriately licensed electrical worker

Within this time frame you are expected to pursue your full licence. As in previous question if ARTC was granted as lets say: Electrical Mechanic would this in anyway make it easier to apply for full licence or doesnt it matter which ARTC is granted

Thanks again

Sam
Yes, being granted recognition as a mechanic would make it easier. If you are graded as a fitter you will need to sit more courses.
Check out www.qet.edu.auwhich shows the requirements for the differing licences.
If you look through this forum you will see that some sparks take a short cut and do the PEER course in Adelaide which requires no gap training to get a South Aus licence or a 2 week Energy Safety course in Perth which will get you a West Aus licence.
You could then transfer the respective licence to a Qld one under 'mutual recognition'. Some feedback suggests that some people have had problems transferring a WA and SA licence to Qld.
However, I suspect that as Steve O pointed out in another thread, that they have probably phoned and spoken to someone instead of just quietly filling out the forms required to do this.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi Derren, thanks for the link and info sam
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:23 am
Just Joined

timpage74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I might be offered a sponsorship for a firm in QLD, I am currently waiting and waiting for my GSM visa to be granted (fat chance).
Obviously I would like to apply for an ARTC if I get sponsorship, now I have got my vetteses certificate or offshore technical skills record. If I apply for an ARTC, would it be a bad thing to include the OTSR as part of the application, will they say I have to do the RTO route, has anyone any answers on that please.
Thanks Tim
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by timpage74
I might be offered a sponsorship for a firm in QLD, I am currently waiting and waiting for my GSM visa to be granted (fat chance).
Obviously I would like to apply for an ARTC if I get sponsorship, now I have got my vetteses certificate or offshore technical skills record. If I apply for an ARTC, would it be a bad thing to include the OTSR as part of the application, will they say I have to do the RTO route, has anyone any answers on that please.
Thanks Tim
Hi Tim,
It's only worthwhile getting an ARTC if you intend to do the PEER wiring regs course in Adelaide and getting an SA licence which should be transferable to a Queensland licence. If you're going to attend an RTO in Queensland then there's little point in going for an ARTC.
You'll probably have to sit more courses than someone with an ARTC but then you need to weigh up the cost of that against going to Adelaide.
Try speaking to Chris Williamson at www.qet.edu.au. The site is quite informative too.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Tim,
It's only worthwhile getting an ARTC if you intend to do the PEER wiring regs course in Adelaide and getting an SA licence which should be transferable to a Queensland licence. If you're going to attend an RTO in Queensland then there's little point in going for an ARTC.
You'll probably have to sit more courses than someone with an ARTC but then you need to weigh up the cost of that against going to Adelaide.
Try speaking to Chris Williamson at www.qet.edu.au. The site is quite informative too.
Regards Derren

Hi Derren, I've already paid for PEER course by distance learning, over a year ago. Found out I have to now pay a further, $450 to do it as its taken me so long to do it. Its still the quickest way to get a license, I would be considered an electrical mechanic, but the job I'm going for is more electrical fitter and I wouldn't be able to tick off the skills from work for the RTO. I don't want a fitter license.

What I am trying to ask is if I send my application for an ARTC with all my proof of apprenticeship and other evidence, would it be a good idea or a bad idea to include a copy of my OTSR as extra evidence. As it proves I have the necessary skills as an electrician. Or will the TRA look at it and tell me I have to go down the RTO route which I don't want to do.

thanks Tim
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Just found a reply from you on another thread about this. Probably not a good idea to send vett with ARTC app

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.