Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical jobs for gap training

Electrical jobs for gap training

Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:50 am
Just Joined

nash01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical jobs for gap training

Hi, I'm posting on here to ask how other UK electricians are doing when it comes to finding jobs in order to complete the gap training course (in WA).

I have my provisional electrical workers licence and letter from Energy safety which says that I need to contact a lady at Poly technic west to book my gap training but, as most people, I'd much rather do the 2 week course at CET to get my licence.

I had a run around the other day to CET, Polytechnic West and Energy Safety and spoke to people at each place - I was told that it is like this: The old system is the 2 week ETL course which you will need to have your skills assessed by TRA (with an ARTC) to sit this course. If you already have a vettassess OSTR then TRA aren't supposed to assess you (but they often will so its a bit of a gamble?)

The TRA assessment require you to fill in the application form and sent copies of certs etc which have to be certified copies (certified by a migration agent or other aussie listed person) costs $300 and takes around 3 months. I'm not sure but I get the feeling that this system may be being phased out?

The gap training course takes upto 12 months and consites of 2 weeks college, on the job gap training then 1 more weeks college. It is often completed in much less than 12 months depending on what access you have to the tasks needed to fill out your log book. This will depend on the work that your employer is doing.

Heres the catch as far as I can see: Electrical contractors aren't interested in employing people on provisional electrical licences when there are other guys with A grade licences or Aussie apprentices applying for the same jobs.

Is anyone out there part way through the gap training and have a job? All I see on these forums is that its impossible to get a job which would mean that the gap training system doesn't work as you cant do the er... Gap training? I'm a bit confused and down at the moment - tell me it's possible!

(to do the ARTC system I will have to wait for my container with all my qualifications then apply for the ATRC, then apply to Energy Safety, Then apply to sit the ETL before getting my licence - I'm a bit worried about this as I think that will take a really long time and ther'se a big risk that it will fail at some stage if TRA wont assess me or they stop using the ETL route?)

Thanks for any advice - and do let me know if any of my info is wrong!!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical jobs for gap training

Ive posted on other threads about this but i am having exactly the same problem as you. I have been here for 6 weeks and i managed to get 1 weeks work last week for a small contractor basically to repair RCD faults as i have a strong testing and diagnostic background. Basically nobody has done gap training as we are the first group since the July change. I am booked in for October the 8th but i may delay it for now until i get a job first. the problem we have is there are others still doing a 2 week course so when you tell an employer about a years gap training they are not interested. It may get easier in time once everyone is aware of the changes but for now its an absolute nightmare for us
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. Just a heads up - I think I've booked the last place on the November 26th Course at Polytechnic West. The next course doesn't start till Feb as its summer holidays for the college.

Where abouts are you living at the moment? Maybe we could meet up or a beer and compare notes?

Cheers,
Adam
Old Sep 16th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

I spoke to the lady at the college and told her my dilema she said she would put me down for november as well and that i could get back to her and let her know what i want to do. So i need to decide in the next week what i am gonna do. I am in the duncraig area where about's are you?
Old Sep 16th 2012, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Hey,

I've only been here for a bit over a week so me and my wife are just finding our feet and trying to get everything sorted out. We're over in Mullaloo in a holiday let for a few weeks so not far away at all!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Yes very close. i will pm you my mobile no and we can meet for a beer
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

keithhusselbee is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to head over in the new year and would be interested to hear more about how people are doing? It sounds as if it is difficult to get a job as you have to do the relevant qualifications first. Does anyone have any advice on the best route to take.