Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to visit Australia

Electrician wanting to visit Australia

Old May 28th 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

owen3408 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician wanting to visit Australia

Hi all my name is Owen, I'm 25 from England and looking at travelling to Australia.
Im a UK fully qualified Electrician and have been qualified since 2006 working for a UK employer for the duration of my apprenticeship and stayed with them until Sept 2010. Im currently on a working holiday visa in Canada working as an electrician at a ski resort.

In sept/october I'm going to be heading to Melbourne and have been granted a 1 year Working Visa (Subclass 417). I would like to get work with an electrical company for my stay in Australia (could become permanent).
Im a little confused as to whether I can work for an electrical company there with my UK trade certs or do I need to get any australian recognised equivalent? I have been reading about ARTC but I'm not sure if that is required whether I'm temporally working/visiting or moving there permanently?

Here in Canada I'm classed as a 'Foreign Electrician' as i do not have a Canadian recognised equivalent but means i can still work as an electrician for a company. Can this be done in Australia?

Any help/advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Owen

Last edited by owen3408; May 28th 2012 at 8:35 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

shanemullins89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician wanting to visit Australia

Hi mate just wondering if you ever found out any information on this?
I have found that there is a course you need to do to have your qualifications recognized in Aus but is that just for self employed electricians and is it possible for like you said to work under a company as a 'foreign electrician'?

If you have found out any information and could let me know it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Shane