Basic information

Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Ryan_B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Basic information

Hi all i am new here and been checking around but i am just wondering on some basics.
I have recently just qualified as a spark after 4 years training i am only 20 years old, i am going on to do my inspection and testing soon. I am wondering would i be able to go out to work in Australia fine? And what are the first basic things to do.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Basic information

Originally Posted by Ryan_B
Hi all i am new here and been checking around but i am just wondering on some basics.
I have recently just qualified as a spark after 4 years training i am only 20 years old, i am going on to do my inspection and testing soon. I am wondering would i be able to go out to work in Australia fine? And what are the first basic things to do.
Hi there,
Are you wanting to go on a working holiday visa for a year or are you wanting to migrate permanently?
If you want to migrate permanently then the very first thing to do is to see if you accumulate enough points to be considered. See the attached document. You need 65 points.
Also, I would recommend consulting a MARA registered migration agent as their initial consultations are usually free and they can tell you from the outset what your chances are with no obligations or fees.
Regards Derren
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
points-fact.pdf (76.1 KB, 121 views)
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Cheers, i am looking to do a working holiday visa for year. I have been reading that i have to get trade assessed and then update on the australian regs when i get there?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ryan_B
Cheers, i am looking to do a working holiday visa for year. I have been reading that i have to get trade assessed and then update on the australian regs when i get there?
Hi Ryan,
You'll probably already aware that you do not need to have your skills assessed in order to obtain a working holiday visa. Presumably, you'll want to work as a spark in OZ so you'll need to have your skills assessed in order to undertake some gap training in order to gain a full licence.
So, once you have your working holiday visa, you can apply for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC) from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).
You can only apply for this once you have been granted a visa.
See the attached document on how to apply.
Once you arrive in Oz then you can undertake some gap training and this varies from state to state. The quickest licences to obtain are the Western Australian and South Australian ones. In WA you can do the 2 week course at CET in Perth, and for SA you can do a correspondence course in the UK
with PEER and then when you arrive in OZ you go to Adelaide to do a 4/5 day revision /exam.
All other states require that you attend college and also do 'on the job' training in order to fill out a log book.
Also, it is possible to work in New South Wales without a licence as long as you are under supervision of a licenced sparky. In all other states it is compulsory to be licenced.
Regards Derren
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ARTC_ApplicantGuidelines.pdf (659.5 KB, 219 views)
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks derren just what i wanted, much appreciated!