Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

electrician wanting to move to florida

electrician wanting to move to florida

Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

stueybath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrician wanting to move to florida

Looking for some advice on moving to florida, ive been an electrician since i was sixteen so have 12 years experience so far, my partner and i are seriously looking into moving to florida, ive looked alittle bit into applying for a license etc but want some advice from anyone thats actually made the move. should i be buying books etc or contacting companies to learn the differences?? are there any other exams or anything i will have to go through?? any information would be great, not looking to make the move yet but when we do id like to be fully prepared.

probably doesnt make a difference but when we move we'll be mortgage free so for me its not about getting a job for the money side.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician wanting to move to florida

Do you already have a visa, or is one of you a US citizen? That'll need to be your first step, as the US is notoriously tricky to emigrate to.

If in doubt, head over to the US immigration section of the forum and ask the lovely people there who will be happy to point you in the right direction with regards to visas etc. http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

stueybath is an unknown quantity at this point

christmasoompa,

thanx for the quick reply,
no neither of us have a visa, were both uk citizens, my fiance has been looking into it for awhile and we know we'd need to find a company that would offer a visa sponsorship first, i would ideally like to find a job at disney but i dont think they offer sponsorship, and like i mentioned in my original post we wont have a mortgage so if i was offered a sponsorship with just a residential electrical company i wouldnt turn it down.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stueybath
christmasoompa,

thanx for the quick reply,
no neither of us have a visa, were both uk citizens, my fiance has been looking into it for awhile and we know we'd need to find a company that would offer a visa sponsorship first, i would ideally like to find a job at disney but i dont think they offer sponsorship, and like i mentioned in my original post we wont have a mortgage so if i was offered a sponsorship with just a residential electrical company i wouldnt turn it down.
OK. I'd suggest you head over to the forum above and ask what your chances of a visa are, as no point worrying about the finer details unless you qualify for one. I'm not sure you would stand much of a chance tbh, but the pros in the US immigration forum will be able to give you a definitive answer and steer you in the right direction.

Good luck.