ARTC Technical Interview

Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:17 pm
On Our Way in Nov!

kbdb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARTC Technical Interview

Thought I'd let you know how we got on earlier in the week (I'd have posted sooner, but moved out of house, yippee!)

We got a letter (well, our relatives in Adelaide did) on Monday to say insufficient evidence and they'd be in touch for a technical interview.

They tried calling Monday night, but our mobile was switched off. They rang again at midnight to conduct the interview over the phone. As we didn't know this was going to happen so soon the (very nice) man agreed to go get a coffee then ring back in half a hour.

This probably made things worse for OH who panicked for 30 mins.

The call lasted about a hour and everything fine til he started asking about motors. Different phase motors, how you'd fix them, how they work etc.

Upshot is that we failed on this aspect. he's going to pass papers to a panel of electricians to review. Outcome could either be another technical interview (just on motors) or pass, or fail. Not sure what happens if we get a fail?! and OH panicking about another technical interview. He hardly touched on this during his course and it seems ridiculous that he needs to know how to fix them to be an electrician!

If anyone has any info at all they can provide/elaborate help out on this we'd be very very grateful. Its been a great week for us. Found temp accommodation over there, and exchanged contracts on house, just this hiccup put a downer on things. Also feel a bit let down by our agents who said that ARTC was a formality, told us to simply send off certificates for converting over. If we'd realised it was again having to prove technical knowledge I'd have crammed it with evidence. I mean, isn't this what the course/exam is about? proving competence.

Anyway, no point ranting now. Hope this helps others in a similar situation

KAREN
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:38 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: ARTC Technical Interview

Originally Posted by kbdb
Thought I'd let you know how we got on earlier in the week (I'd have posted sooner, but moved out of house, yippee!)

We got a letter (well, our relatives in Adelaide did) on Monday to say insufficient evidence and they'd be in touch for a technical interview.

They tried calling Monday night, but our mobile was switched off. They rang again at midnight to conduct the interview over the phone. As we didn't know this was going to happen so soon the (very nice) man agreed to go get a coffee then ring back in half a hour.

The call lasted about a hour and everything fine til he started asking about motors. Different phase motors, how you'd fix them, how they work etc.

Upshot is that we failed on this aspect. he's going to pass papers to a panel of electricians to review. Outcome could either be another technical interview (just on motors) or pass, or fail. Not sure what happens if we get a fail?! and OH panicking about another technical interview. He hardly touched on this during his course and it seems ridiculous that he needs to know how to fix them to be an electrician!

If anyone has any info at all they can provide/elaborate help out on this we'd be very very grateful. Its been a great week for us. Found temp accommodation over there, and exchanged contracts on house, just this hiccup put a downer on things. Also feel a bit let down by our agents who said that ARTC was a formality, told us to simply send off certificates for converting over. If we'd realised it was again having to prove technical knowledge I'd have crammed it with evidence. I mean, isn't this what the course/exam is about? proving competence.

KAREN
Feel so sorry for your other half! I was a nervous wreck until i got mine back, luckily i had no interview. I cant understand why they make a big fuss about motors? If your a maintenance spark and intend to work as a electrical fitter on oz then fair enough but if your a house basher and dont come into contact with motors then why ask about them?? I think the migration agents need a kick up the backside and tell peolpe how important passing the ARTC is, without it your buggerd working as a spark! Anyway rant over and i hope you get a pass! Sorry i cant help with any info, im sure someone will come up trumps for you!

Stu
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:25 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Default Re: ARTC Technical Interview

Originally Posted by kbdb

KAREN
have sent you an email and PM.