Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Anybody already taken Peer exam in Adelaide?

Anybody already taken Peer exam in Adelaide?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody already taken Peer exam in Adelaide?

FoxyRuthie;

i have just replied to one of your earlier post, i spoke to Kate at PEER yesterday i asked what if a person fails can they resit the day after, she said students book in for 2 days in general if they fail then the 2nd day they go over the points of fail with the instructor to get them through.
However if the fail is a bad result the student can be instructed to resit the entire exams. she went on to say the 2 reasons of failure is 1st poor understanding of English, 2nd people over confident she explained people doing little or NO work from the work book correspondence, i was very surprised at that comment seeming the Uk do produce very good electricians, then again the UK also produce a percentage of sparks who think they know it all, & that's very sad to say. so as Wendy, Stev'O & Myself keep telling people you must be on the ball with the wiring rules & cable calc's to pass it all.

all the best to you if i can be of anymore help just ask.???
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

hi all. i'm doing the peer exam next wednesday too. i'm coming over perth and just wondering how easy it is to transfer an SA licence to a WA licence.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:32 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agillick
hi all. i'm doing the peer exam next wednesday too. i'm coming over perth and just wondering how easy it is to transfer an SA licence to a WA licence.
why bother any licence is valid in any state as of sept 07 i`d leave it till its almost out and then chop it in for one in your own state
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Hughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Hi guys

My hubby is about to take the Peer exam in Adelaide in three weeks and is a bit nervous and would like some advice from those of you that have already done it. It seems to be a case of turn up do a days revision then take the exam where they sit with you and make sure you pass it? Is that right? Is it possible to fail and if so can you re-take the test the next day?

Its just that Adam is flying from Cairns to do it and doesn't want to leave Adelaide until its passed!

After passing does he just go to OCBA, fill in the forms hand over the money and the licence will be sent to our home address?

Your advice and re-assurance !!! would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Hi Foxy Ruthie

As long as your other half has done his workbook and can knows the Wiring rules fairly well, he will have very little problems in getting his certificate.

I flew from Brisbane to Adelaide on Tues 28th Oct, getting to PEER at around 10.30am. Started the exam at around 11am. The exam says 4hrs, but this is not strictly adhered to, and they will give you plenty of time to complete the exam.On the Tues night I stopped at the Lindy Lodge Motel, cheap and reasonably comfortable, before returning to complete the exam on the Wed morn.
Passed the exam and left PEER at around 12pm and headed to OCBA to complete the license application.
Filled in the License application at OCBA, you don't even need to take passport size photos anymore, as they do this digitally at OCBA. Paid the $350AUD, and they will post the license out to my address in QLD.The hardest part of the whole process was attaining the 100 points of ID. This was only down to the fact that all of my ID was still from the UK, ie Driving License and credit cards. So make sure you have enough ID, ie Passport, Oz driving license, OZ bank details or credit cards.
I flew back to Brisbane on the Wed evening, mission accomplished!

Dave

Big Hi to Chris Ball, who done the exam at the same time.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve`o
why bother any licence is valid in any state as of sept 07 i`d leave it till its almost out and then chop it in for one in your own state
i thought that too but my company say they only accept WA licences. cheers steve.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:33 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Nice one dave always nice to hear good informative news,

So you all certified up now then, where abouts are you in QLD dave?

And whats the job situation like there at the minute?

I look on Seek all the time but good to hear first hand experience of people actually looking and finding the wor rather that Agencies just trying to get more names on there books!

Cheers

Dougie
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:12 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agillick
i thought that too but my company say they only accept WA licences. cheers steve.

looking into it

the only difinative answer ive found at the moment is on the qld electrical safety website

qld link
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...tate/index.htm

states clearly that
If you hold one of the exact external licences listed you can work within the scope of that licence in Queensland without having to apply for a Queensland electrical work licence.

looking at the WA site now

loads of info re mutual recognition but no difinatve answer??

Last edited by steve`o; Nov 14th 2008 at 6:11 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

andywilson19 is an unknown quantity at this point

my company in sa got a job in darwin and was told for any sa electrician to work in dawin they would need their licence so they had to get 3 licences to send the electricians to work there
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:30 am
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hughmorriss
Hi Foxy Ruthie

As long as your other half has done his workbook and can knows the Wiring rules fairly well, he will have very little problems in getting his certificate.

I flew from Brisbane to Adelaide on Tues 28th Oct, getting to PEER at around 10.30am. Started the exam at around 11am. The exam says 4hrs, but this is not strictly adhered to, and they will give you plenty of time to complete the exam.On the Tues night I stopped at the Lindy Lodge Motel, cheap and reasonably comfortable, before returning to complete the exam on the Wed morn.
Passed the exam and left PEER at around 12pm and headed to OCBA to complete the license application.
Filled in the License application at OCBA, you don't even need to take passport size photos anymore, as they do this digitally at OCBA. Paid the $350AUD, and they will post the license out to my address in QLD.The hardest part of the whole process was attaining the 100 points of ID. This was only down to the fact that all of my ID was still from the UK, ie Driving License and credit cards. So make sure you have enough ID, ie Passport, Oz driving license, OZ bank details or credit cards.

Dave

Thanks Dave your post was really helpful, Adam is flying down tomorrow to get it over and done with! Fingers crossed by the end of the week it will all be over!
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Hughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to all

Sorry to all that read my post, but I forgot to mention that when you go to OCBA you will need your Wiring rules certificate AND your ARTC certificate. (make sure your full name is 'exactly' the same on both certificates)

Dave
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Hi Dave,
Hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

Anyone doing the peer course might be interested in the attached picture, it was taken from my hotel room in adelaide as i was allowed to take this part of the test home for the night!!
Having not seen the inside of an Oz Dis Board myself it might help a few as i did'nt lose any marks for this. The only thing you need to make sure is that the main Earth and main neutral conductors are connected either side of the MEN link. Ignore the ratings on the MCB's as i think i might of changed a few after the pic was taken.
Take some colored pens with you as you need to identify all cables.

If anyone needs any help, Please ask.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody already taken Peer exam in Adelaide?-dsc02107.jpg  
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:52 am
Just Joined

xiao is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Foxy Ruthie

Dave

Can you tell me more about exam ? i got exam at 20/11/2008 at PEER and i fell very nervous.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:43 am
Just Joined

xiao is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Foxy Ruthie

Dave

Man ,what question did you go through at PEER ?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by xiao
Can you tell me more about exam ? i got exam at 20/11/2008 at PEER and i fell very nervous.
Hi
The exam is 20 pages of questions on the wiring rules, couple of questions on Max Demand, and the switchboard wiring diagram ( as per Chris' drawing).

It is only natural to feel nervous, as the outcome is pretty important, but as I have stated previously, If you have done the workbook, and can get around the Wiring rules book pretty well, you will be fine.

And don't worry about the time limit, as you can pretty much complete the exam at your leisure!

Dave
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

Hi guys,

Ive just applied for me visa and just want to know how long to wait before applying for the PEER correspondence course? Is this just a self study workbook type thing?

Sorry if this has all been asked before, i did spend a while looking, honest

Cheers Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.