Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Almost Got Visa Can Someone Confirm Quickest Route To Licence

Almost Got Visa Can Someone Confirm Quickest Route To Licence

Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

minty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really nice
Default Almost Got Visa Can Someone Confirm Quickest Route To Licence

Hi all,

Havent posted in a while as ive been sat on the pile with everyone else but just got our case officer and am now nearly there.
I done the vets route back in late 2009 but i dont want to do the trades assistance route.
We are going to Adelaide and hopefully will be over about June/July.

Is the following still the quickest way for me to get my A class licence -

Get my trade recognised by ARTC by using a postal address in Aus.
If so what grading is the best. Im a JIB technician grade here but what is the highest grade in Aus, fitter or Mechanic (i would presume mechanic) i dont want any restrictions and want to be able to do all works.

Once i have the ARTC certificate register with PEER Adelaide to do the Aussie wiring regs course via distance learning. Do the distance learning whille im still in the UK and then do the 1 week course when i arrive in Adelaide. (is this correct).

After this i can the just walk into energy safe and get my A class ?

Can anyone confirm if this is still the quickest and best way and also how long does it take to do the distance learning and what is the course like.

Lastly i do not know anyone in Aus so is there anyone who will let me use there address for the ARTC trade recognition.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:14 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost Got Visa Can Someone Confirm Quickest Route To Licence

Minty,

Mechanic is best but if you are going through the South Australia or PEER it doesn't matter if you are classified as fitter or mechanic by the TRA as they do not categorise their electricians in this way, in SA my understanding is you are either A-class sparks or you are not an electrician.

This is where I believe all the fun and games with other states refusing to grant licences under the mutual recognition rules started

Once i have the ARTC certificate register with PEER Adelaide to do the Aussie wiring regs course via distance learning. Do the distance learning whille im still in the UK and then do the 1 week course when i arrive in Adelaide. (is this correct).

This is exactly how i hope to do it. Hopefully you are right!

Don't mean to highjack your thread but I'm hoping to live in Queensland so will try and get the SA licence transferred under the mutual recognition scheme, how much trouble is this going to be or has the reluctance to adhere to the mutual recognition agreement gone now?

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

minty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really niceminty01 is just really nice

Hello, thanks for the info Rinkerdink, its a nightmare but i think i have most of it right. Its a shame people going to other states are having trouble with the mutual recognition.

Does anyone know costs and how to start the distance learning ?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

ericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really nice

Originally Posted by minty01
Hello, thanks for the info Rinkerdink, its a nightmare but i think i have most of it right. Its a shame people going to other states are having trouble with the mutual recognition.

Does anyone know costs and how to start the distance learning ?
Hi, i paid $1385 for the course and all the books on 21/01/2011. Not sure if they charge extra if they have to post out of Adelaide though. For the licence application it was $377. Just call them on (08) 83481200...

Good luck
Greetings
Erick
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

quid81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Erik
Hope you are well.
Has your licence come through yet, i'm still waiting it's been 4 weeks now and it is stopping me getting a job.

regards
Tony
Old Mar 14th 2011, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

ericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really niceericks is just really nice

Originally Posted by quid81
Hi Erik
Hope you are well.
Has your licence come through yet, i'm still waiting it's been 4 weeks now and it is stopping me getting a job.

regards
Tony
Hi Tony, fine thanks and you? No not yet... saw somewhere that it takes 5 weeks. I will let you know as soon as i receive mine.

Greetings
Erick
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi Tony... have you received your licence? I phoned THEM on Friday, they said mine's not ready yet... still has to be signed by the supervisor!!