Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on skills assessment with Vetassess

Advice needed on skills assessment with Vetassess

Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:53 am
Just Joined

charle1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed on skills assessment with Vetassess

Hi

My other half is a qualified electrician and plans to apply for skilled independent migration visa so we are just getting our stuff together for the Vetassess application.

However, we have all copies of certificates gained after his apprenticeship 14 years ago. He has been working for a data cabling company and his JIB has expired. He has no current electrical registration only a CSCS card that states his position as a data cabling supervisor. Is this going to cause problems with his application? Will they wonder why he doesn't have 17th ed (he is 16th ed) and JIB card? We are considering putting him through 17th edition to get JIB as we don't want to fail assessement but obviously would prefer to avoid this totally uneccessary expense (after all, 17th edition isn't going to help much is Oz is it?)

Any advice would bemuch appreciated? Shall we risk it and apply with certs/references and experience? After all, he will have a practical exm to prove his competency won't he?

Thanks
C

Last edited by charle1980; Feb 4th 2013 at 7:38 am.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:40 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on skills assessment with Vetassess

Originally Posted by charle1980
Hi

My other half is a qualified electrician and plans to apply for skilled independent migration visa so we are just getting our stuff together for the Vetassess application.

However, we have all copies of certificates gained after his apprenticeship 14 years ago. He has been working for a data cabling company and his JIB has expired. He hass no current electrical registration only a CSCS card that states his position as a data cabling supervisor. Is this going to cause problems with his application? Will they wonder why he doesn't have 1th ed and JIB card? We are considering putting him through 17th edition to get JIB as we don't want to fail assessement but obviously would prefer to avoid this totally uneccessary expense (after all, 17th edition isn't going to help much is Oz is it?)

Any advice would bemuch appreciated? Shall we risk it and apply with certs/references and experience? After all, he will have a practical exm to prove his competency won't he?

Thanks
C

When i done my application 2002 i never included my JIB card as it had already expired. I never had my 16th as my year was the last to do the 15th. Never had a problem. But i included my apprenticeship , my craftsman certificate . my SJIB certificate , loads of referee from agencies in the UK, 2 companies i worked with in Oz on a WHV and also my year NZ. Its all about proving you know what you do. Did he have JIB card at some point? Does he have certificates to prove he done and completed a apprenticeship?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

He had a JIB card but it expired aa while ago. He did an apprenticeship and has his AM2 AM2, NVQ 3 in electrical installation and his C&G 2391.

I think we are going to book him on an online course to get his 17th edition (he is 16th edition) and apply for a JIB card before doing the skills assessment paperwork.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:12 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charle1980
He had a JIB card but it expired aa while ago. He did an apprenticeship and has his AM2 AM2, NVQ 3 in electrical installation and his C&G 2391.

I think we are going to book him on an online course to get his 17th edition (he is 16th edition) and apply for a JIB card before doing the skills assessment paperwork.
I don't think it would be worth doing the 17th given the quals he does have. Do make sure that you have good references from past employers and get all the copies certified. I'm what's classed as an electrical fitter - do industrial maintenance so never had JIB (and also not AM2) but have positive skills assessment as have identures and HNC and good references

Good luck.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:46 am
Just Joined

DR_SURF is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - if he has the NVQ level 3 he should automatically get a JIB card I think - maybe have a chat to them.
Unlike the TRA VETASSESS are relatively fair in that they will ask you for more documentation to support your application if you fall short. So with all the evidence you already have seems unlikely they will need the JIB card.

good luck!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses. He doesn't have a JIB card as it expired. Their website says if qualifications are more than 3 years then the latest regs must be done i.e. 17th edition.

I guess we are nervous because he hasn't been doing as much electrical work lately but a lot of data. So, I think it might be better for him to do 17th edition - it will also help with the practical.