110v equipment

Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice
Default 110v equipment

Hi all,
I was told that Aussie's don't use 110v Trannies on site.Is this correct? I work on large industrial/commercial sites usually. Surely you wouldn't have 230v trailing everywhere. Also can you get all the usual battery brands there like Ryobi and Dewalt and would it be cheaper to buy here in U.K. or down under. I've got a chance to buy a nearly new Meger multi tester here would it be worth the investment cause I've heard they only mechanically test the R.C.D.s. and this is the only meter I really need replaced.Davy.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:29 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 110v equipment

Originally Posted by Davy View Post
Hi all,
I was told that Aussie's don't use 110v Trannies on site.Is this correct? I work on large industrial/commercial sites usually. Surely you wouldn't have 230v trailing everywhere. Also can you get all the usual battery brands there like Ryobi and Dewalt and would it be cheaper to buy here in U.K. or down under. I've got a chance to buy a nearly new Meger multi tester here would it be worth the investment cause I've heard they only mechanically test the R.C.D.s. and this is the only meter I really need replaced.Davy.
yo are quite right hen you say we have 240v leads everywhere as they seem to think that if you stick a RCD on it then everything is wounderfull so dont bring your 110v tools everyone will look at you gone out when you pull your trannie out of the van.
you can get all the normal brands of power tools out here, if you are thinking of buying new power tools just keep in mind the waranty isues of bringing over in the case of one of them having a problem. as for test gear about the only one i have seen is a mega, rcds are not time tested only tested with a socket tester to check polarity and the tripping current. just buy one of these when you get here. hope thats of some help, sparks.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Davy;

as others have said DON'T bother with the 110V gear useless here mate, also when you use your Insulation Resistance Tester (Megger) it should be calibrated every 12 months here costing $250.00 in Victoria some crap meggers don't cost that much to buy from new. (But they are Shite).

when your here, to work "Unsupervised" you shall have to do the A class license the best & easiest place to do that is PEER in S/A its as simple as that, may i ask where do you intend to live in Australia.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Hi Pom,
Were going to Brisbane.[hopefully] We've been before and the OH has a sister there.I'm going to have to look into the licensing soon but I keep putting it off. Hopfully the visa will come through soon and then I'll have to get my arse in gear. Once I get the visa I'll send for the work book from Peer, then fly down for the test shortly after we arrive.I think once I get the license I'll get it changed to a Queensland license easy enough.[fingers crossed]. Do you have oridinary sparks and approved there. More importantly is there a difference in the pay rate. Davy.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Davy;

once you have the A class license that's it mate, NO approved sparks here sorry to say,,Hell if that was the case most Aussie sparks would be on the dole.???

I suppose you may get more money on large sites if your running the jobs, but in general once you have the Unrestricted A class license your OK.
It can be a pig of a thing to obtain, i have been told in QLD it may take you 12 months at evening class 1 night per week that's due to the number of applicants wanting to do the courses.

look at PEER in S/A they are very good ask for Wendy on here mate she is fantastic also StevO in QLD he is very switched on.