Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Potential mortgage default - impacts?

Potential mortgage default - impacts?

Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:07 am
Just Joined

ReallyWorried is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential mortgage default - impacts?

Hi everyone,

I'm sure our situation is not unusual however we may be about to default on our mortgage on our flat in Paphos. We bought it in 2004 as a long-term investment and a place for family holidays, alas with the economic situation, we have lost jobs/taken major pay cuts and can no longer afford to pay for the flat.

Our mortgage is with Alpha Bank who have been completely uncoopoerative when we approached them about restructuring our mortgage, and are now threatening legal action.

We are accepting the fact that we may now lose the flat and the significant savings we put into it, but are still really worried about what steps Alpha Bank can take against us and how it will affect our credit rating in the UK. Does anyone know what the repercussions may be?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:49 am
Just Joined

David and Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential mortgage default - impacts?

Originally Posted by ReallyWorried
Hi everyone,

I'm sure our situation is not unusual however we may be about to default on our mortgage on our flat in Paphos. We bought it in 2004 as a long-term investment and a place for family holidays, alas with the economic situation, we have lost jobs/taken major pay cuts and can no longer afford to pay for the flat.

Our mortgage is with Alpha Bank who have been completely uncoopoerative when we approached them about restructuring our mortgage, and are now threatening legal action.

We are accepting the fact that we may now lose the flat and the significant savings we put into it, but are still really worried about what steps Alpha Bank can take against us and how it will affect our credit rating in the UK. Does anyone know what the repercussions may be?
Hi
I am sorry to hear about this and suspect you are not alone. Has anything happened since your posted this?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Tony brooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, has this progressed at all? I am in a very similar situation, with Emporiki bank in Paphos. Their demands are impossible, they won't meet me half way and are threatening legal proceedings next week. Please respond back to me either way. Kind regards
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tony brooks
Hi, has this progressed at all? I am in a very similar situation, with Emporiki bank in Paphos. Their demands are impossible, they won't meet me half way and are threatening legal proceedings next week. Please respond back to me either way. Kind regards
Hi, please do not whatever you do, take the keys back to the bank, or send them to the bank. They will only send them back to you, and you will still have the same problem.