Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Lidl's in Cyprus

Lidl's in Cyprus

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lidl's in Cyprus

Can't wait for the opening!!

I know that the distribution centre opens on the 27th Sept, and I've heard that the first store will open at 10.10am on the 10/10/10.

Anyone else heard anything?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:52 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lidl's in Cyprus

Do you think it will be like the one's in the UK? We don't have them in the US but I enjoy shopping in them when I visit family in the UK
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Do let us know , it'll be very interesting to compare ;
whereas groceries' shopping in Cyprus appeared quite poor , expensive and limited , when last I was in Larnaca and Lefkosia ( 2005 ! ) , IMHO - do be also prewarned that a Lidl and even an Aldi are not guaranteed panaceas to this ; from own experience and for multiple reasons , which include logistics , franchising , labour and real estate costs , Gov't levies , excise duties etc. :
- a Lidl is as good as it gets , in most parts of Germany , France , Italy , Austria , Slovenia ;
( N.B. not particularly useful in Spain , where it stocks too much of usual spanish produce and not much good stuff from other EU-countries ) ;
but any newest i.e. largest Lidl next door - to A , I and SLO , i.e. in Croatia ( i.e. non-EU and a totally different marketplace ! ) , it is a total waste of time and fuel to even go there , as over 60% of items tend to be identical to those in other usual ( but : better equipped ) supermarkets , at prices which , really : are no better ;
then you also have the case of ( jolly & sad ) Belgium , where , despite Lidl and Aldi being hopelessly poorly-equipped , minimal assortments , understaffed and Zero service plus extravagantly-long till-queues , they nonetheless manage to cost on average 8% MORE than that the 3 leading supermarkets ( Carrefour , Colruyt and Delhaize ) , which price-survey stats were circulated in all the media , just a few days ago .
Even SPARs beat Lidls here , now : isn't that something incredible ?
So : Best of ( Lidl ) Luck and : do let us know !
Old Oct 4th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sue
Do you think it will be like the one's in the UK? We don't have them in the US but I enjoy shopping in them when I visit family in the UK
I'm hoping it is. Shopping is just crazy here. We thought that when Carrefour arrived on the island that the prices would be good, but the government impossed a pricing structure on them. Its meant that the prices are about the same as the other leading supermarket, Orphanides.

Funny that the owner of Orphanides, sits in the government!

Lidl took the government to court as they tried to inforce the same pricing structures on them. As Cyprus is an EU country, they aren't allowed to do this. Needless to say Lidl won, so work recommenced on the stores, and some have now been stocked and are ready to open.

Just a case of waiting, I'm guessing this weekend or next maybe.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

I repeat : I'd really be interested , how this 'un pans out , now and later !
Cheers ,
R.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

The latest I have heard is that the Lidl stores which are already open are often out of stock very quickly as the restaurant owners go and buy everything available.
The problem here is that there is no such thing as wholesalers for businesses to use so restaurants have to use the normal shops that the rest of us use.
This is the reason the food in restaurants seems expensive compared to some other countries.
Maybe an opening there for an enterprising person.

Veronica
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Lidl's has had a huge impact!!

Firstly, we're saving about €50 a week on our shopping. Fruit juices, dairy (inc ice-cream) and soft drinks are just a few areas where we save money. The prepacked meats are great quality and the fruit and veg department is of surprisingly high quality.

Secondly, the other super markets are having to sit up and take notice. I've never seen as many offers on products in Carrefour or Orphanidies.

People are beginning to realise that they have been ripped off for many years, and aren't standing for it anymore.

On opening weekend, Carrefour in Larnaca was practically empty! We got parked right outside at 11am, which has never happened (had to go as Lidl don't sell Actimel).

The stores were very busy for the first few weeks, but things have settled down now, and people are now shopping around for the best bargins now that the other supermarkets have taken notice.

In conclusion - A GREAT SUCCESS (in my opinion of course)
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

dorsetfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to say I wasn't 'thrilled' at Lidl in Limassol.
Happened to be down in limassol from PFO and popped in on the way back.

Unbranded cereals weren't overall cheap, the jam and marmalade selection (same as UK) is more expensive than some of the supermarkets

Some good things were Nappies (same brand - 'toujour' as they stock in UK - for €10 per pack), and cans of unbranded pop for 29 cents.

The newish Peyia City supermarket i would say is comparable (with the exception of nappies).
I wouldn't specifically go to Lidl's again, but would go and nip in after a Jumbo's trip.
That's my opinion
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dorsetfam
Have to say I wasn't 'thrilled' at Lidl in Limassol.
Happened to be down in limassol from PFO and popped in on the way back.

Unbranded cereals weren't overall cheap, the jam and marmalade selection (same as UK) is more expensive than some of the supermarkets

Some good things were Nappies (same brand - 'toujour' as they stock in UK - for €10 per pack), and cans of unbranded pop for 29 cents.

The newish Peyia City supermarket i would say is comparable (with the exception of nappies).
I wouldn't specifically go to Lidl's again, but would go and nip in after a Jumbo's trip.
That's my opinion
Really? I found the cereals fanstatic. I eat bran flakes, and have had to make do with a rubbish Carrefour brand for ages. The Crownfield Bran flakes are about €1.50 cheaper and are of much better quality!

But each to their own tastes I suppose.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Can't wait for the opening!!

I know that the distribution centre opens on the 27th Sept, and I've heard that the first store will open at 10.10am on the 10/10/10.

Anyone else heard anything?
One big plus that the Lidl has made, is that the other supermarkerts have brought their prices down.