Duty Free Car

Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

DeeEverett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Duty Free Car

Hi, I recently divorced and my ex returned to the UK leaving me with the duty free car. I need to sell it as I want to move to America. Without him around how can I sell it as it is in his name and he is being very difficult about coming to Cyprus to sell it which I don't blame him. Can I sell it without him coming back to Cyprus. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dee
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:10 am
Just Joined

derrick c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Duty Free Car

You will not be able to sell it unless your ex transfers it into your name and then you will have to pay the duty. Advice to others considering buying duty free--- don`t, unles you intend to keep it for 10 years when duty is exempt. If you sell before the 10 years you or the buyer has to pay the duty. It`s just not worth it, as if you buy duty free you have the dreaded trip to Nicosia for the day producing all your paperwork, bank statements, proof of income. Slipriots sticking their noses in again. You can always ship it back to the UK, but then you will have all the hassle of registering it etc. etc, it has to have a COC (certificate of conformity, (Uk standard)) or go through the SVA test and pay the VAT. Afraid there`s nothing you can do. I am stuck with a duty free as well. Anyone want a cheap CRV. 10 years old, but I`ve only had it for 5 years. So I`m n-----ed as well.