Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Anyone out there bought property in North Cyprus?

Anyone out there bought property in North Cyprus?

Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

MaltyOne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone out there bought property in North Cyprus?

I own land in North Cyprus. I offered to give the Greek Cypriot owner the deeds of land in Larnaca that a Turkish Cypriot in the north had exchanged for the pre-1974 Greek Cypriot land I had bought. He was very interested at first but on discovering that the Republic of Cyprus (ROC) government had "compulsory purchased" it he lost interest. I then offered to buy it from him at a very good price and so he went to the ROC land registry in the south to make enquiries about how to do this. He was told it was a criminal offence for him to sell his own land in the North. Seems as if someone doesn't want commonsense to prevail here. I then offered to give him his land back at no cost as I was getting fed up with the whole thing. Unfortunately the north Cyprus government won't allow this.

Apparently the Russians are now taking an interest and have said that if anyone wants to try to take any of their Greek Cypriot land from them then they are willing to fight them for it in the same way they took all the land from its owners in Russia in 1917. They reckon they got away with it then so they'll get away with it now.

MaltyOne
Old Dec 6th 2007, 5:47 am
Banned

sturatc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MaltyOne
I own land in North Cyprus. I offered to give the Greek Cypriot owner the deeds of land in Larnaca that a Turkish Cypriot in the north had exchanged for the pre-1974 Greek Cypriot land I had bought. He was very interested at first but on discovering that the Republic of Cyprus (ROC) government had "compulsory purchased" it he lost interest. I then offered to buy it from him at a very good price and so he went to the ROC land registry in the south to make enquiries about how to do this. He was told it was a criminal offence for him to sell his own land in the North. Seems as if someone doesn't want commonsense to prevail here. I then offered to give him his land back at no cost as I was getting fed up with the whole thing. Unfortunately the north Cyprus government won't allow this.

Apparently the Russians are now taking an interest and have said that if anyone wants to try to take any of their Greek Cypriot land from them then they are willing to fight them for it in the same way they took all the land from its owners in Russia in 1917. They reckon they got away with it then so they'll get away with it now.

MaltyOne
I have experience in buying but not too much pretty for me
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Can I remind you there is a no advertising policy on this forum.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:36 pm
Tim Higgins

Tim10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default North is safer than South to buy

Buying in North Cyprus has a reputation of being less safe than South Cyprus, but only the opposite is true.

As long as you buy pre-1974 Turkish lands and exchange titles you will be protected. Other titles, I would not touch -- they may carry some risk.

However, the Greeks are hiding the fact they are selling stolen Turkish lands in the South and they will not compensate the former owners (unlike the Turks).

In general anyone who thinks that the Turks will allow unification without an agreement on the land issue is wrong. One also must remember that Turkey has a successful closed economy and it is Europe which wants Turkey to be opened up for export purposes. For this reason all pressure has turned to the Greeks to end the issue. Also, the US and NATO have had it with the stubborn Greek attitude.

So, if you ask me, with property prices in the North at half the prices in the South, why buy in the North. Just take a good solicitor and have the title checked carefully....at least in the North title can be checked with some degree of accuracy -- in the South the Greeks are hiding proof of pervious ownership from potential buyers.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there an EU ruling on this in that member states can not claim back any previously disputed lands?

Hows that for a first post?