Any advice ?..

Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:20 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 4
nicki1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Any advice ?..

Hello ,
I am Nicki i am new to this site , it looks like a good site to receive advice from. My self and partner have two children aged 11 and 8 years old , we want to re locate to cyprus. I want to know which area is better to do this and for work , Also education for my children is most important and the cost . I know a little as i have a english friend that now lives in pathos. Rented accomadation is what i need advice on at this stage. I have read a few posts on here from people with similar requests. Any advice will be much appreciated .

Regards


Nicki
nicki1979 is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:56 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Still in Cyprus, for now!
Posts: 395
Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any advice ?..

Originally Posted by nicki1979 View Post
Hello ,
I am Nicki i am new to this site , it looks like a good site to receive advice from. My self and partner have two children aged 11 and 8 years old , we want to re locate to cyprus. I want to know which area is better to do this and for work , Also education for my children is most important and the cost . I know a little as i have a english friend that now lives in pathos. Rented accomadation is what i need advice on at this stage. I have read a few posts on here from people with similar requests. Any advice will be much appreciated .

Regards


Nicki
Hi Nicki,

Welcome!

There are loads of rentals at the moment. Take your time though, look at lots and negiotation should be used. For example, a friend of mine is paying 650 euros for a 2 bed flat in Larnaca, I'm paying 550 euros for a 3 bed house with pool, on the outskirts of Larnaca. Our landlord started out at 650, but we bargained hard and got what we wanted. The thing is, there is so much to choose from, so your in the best position!

In your other post you mention schools. Well, the major towns/cities have English schools, so plenty to choose from. It will cost between 3k and 5k per year per child. depending on the school and their ages.

Work - again, Limassol, Larnaca and Nicosia are the obvious choices. Paphos and Napa tend to be more seasonal. It really depends on what you want to do.

Any more questions, let me know.
Honest_H is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:48 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 4
nicki1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any advice ?..

Hello Honest H ,
Thank you for your advice on my post. Can i ask how does it work with the state schooling in cyprus ? Is this free ? .I am looking at the area of Peyia as my friend lives there now and i know it is very close to coral bay.


I have several qualifications regarding work i am qualified chef and have managament and counselling under my belt too.I am aso a singer and entertainer. I have worked in residencial units for the past few years with young people , this being social care work. Is there any type of work available for this?.


I have read it is very hard to find any work and the wages are low and hard to make ends meat with a family , is this correct ?.


I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Nicki
nicki1979 is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:56 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Still in Cyprus, for now!
Posts: 395
Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any advice ?..

Originally Posted by nicki1979 View Post
Hello Honest H ,
Thank you for your advice on my post. Can i ask how does it work with the state schooling in cyprus ? Is this free ? .I am looking at the area of Peyia as my friend lives there now and i know it is very close to coral bay.


I have several qualifications regarding work i am qualified chef and have managament and counselling under my belt too.I am aso a singer and entertainer. I have worked in residencial units for the past few years with young people , this being social care work. Is there any type of work available for this?.


I have read it is very hard to find any work and the wages are low and hard to make ends meat with a family , is this correct ?.


I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Nicki
Hi Nicki,

Yes state schooling is free, however, they my put your kids in lower classes so that they can catch up on the language. They will be taught in Greek, no English. Some schools are very helpful, others not so. If you go down this route, try and choose a school that has other English kids in.

Work - you could really do anything then. There isn't much in the lines of social care, but your other experience will be helpful, especially in the entertainment industry down in Paphos.
Honest_H is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:10 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: uk
Posts: 4
nicki1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any advice ?..

Hi there quick reply thank you .

How do i get the children into a state school? . I am thinking of coming over in april.

I have a friend that also wants to move there and has been a painter and decorator for a long time.They can do plumbing and also recovery work for breakdown of cars etc. Is there any work for this with out qualifictions on paper?
nicki1979 is offline  
Old Dec 25th 2009, 3:38 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,782
johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any advice ?..

Originally Posted by nicki1979 View Post
Hello ,
I am Nicki i am new to this site , it looks like a good site to receive advice from. My self and partner have two children aged 11 and 8 years old , we want to re locate to cyprus. I want to know which area is better to do this and for work , Also education for my children is most important and the cost . I know a little as i have a english friend that now lives in pathos. Rented accomadation is what i need advice on at this stage. I have read a few posts on here from people with similar requests. Any advice will be much appreciated .

Regards


Nicki
I have always liked Cyprus and wanted to live there. Some seem concerned about the water shortages. Is this an issue?

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 25th 2009 at 3:42 am.
johnh009 is offline  
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:30 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Nic1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: The Island of love
Posts: 882
Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice ?..

Hi, you need to look very carefully at costs of living out here, and need to ensure you have a decent sum of money to bring with you to cover the initial 6-12 months. Wages here are very low and cost of living is comparatively expensive. Do some serious checking and then decide what you want to do - it would be worth trying to get some work sorted out before you come over.

N
Nic1 is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:20 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 367
Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice ?..

Originally Posted by nicki1979 View Post
Hello Honest H ,
Thank you for your advice on my post. Can i ask how does it work with the state schooling in cyprus ? Is this free ? .I am looking at the area of Peyia as my friend lives there now and i know it is very close to coral bay.


I have several qualifications regarding work i am qualified chef and have managament and counselling under my belt too.I am aso a singer and entertainer. I have worked in residencial units for the past few years with young people , this being social care work. Is there any type of work available for this?.


I have read it is very hard to find any work and the wages are low and hard to make ends meat with a family , is this correct ?.


I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Nicki
Nicki I would not recommend a family with young children to move over to Cyprus at this time unless you have a very well paid job lined up.
Many many young families are leaving the island beause they cannot make ends meet on the sort of wages that are paid here, that is assuming you even find a job.
If you get into financial difficulty you will not get state help unless you have paid into the social fund for some time and even then the help you get is minimal compared to the help that families with children get in the Uk.
This country is a great place to live if you are retired or are a couple with no dependants and earning reasonable money. It is not the place for families with young children. Do not put your childrens future in jeopardy.

Regards
Veronica
Veronica-K is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:38 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
liliand's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: in the tropics
Posts: 28
liliand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any advice ?..

Originally Posted by Honest_H View Post
Hi Nicki,

Welcome!

There are loads of rentals at the moment. Take your time though, look at lots and negiotation should be used. For example, a friend of mine is paying 650 euros for a 2 bed flat in Larnaca, I'm paying 550 euros for a 3 bed house with pool, on the outskirts of Larnaca. Our landlord started out at 650, but we bargained hard and got what we wanted. The thing is, there is so much to choose from, so your in the best position!

In your other post you mention schools. Well, the major towns/cities have English schools, so plenty to choose from. It will cost between 3k and 5k per year per child. depending on the school and their ages.

Work - again, Limassol, Larnaca and Nicosia are the obvious choices. Paphos and Napa tend to be more seasonal. It really depends on what you want to do.

Any more questions, let me know.
Hi, please may I ask for what length of time, and what time of year was your negotiated house+pool let?
Thanks. Lilian
liliand is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.