Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Old Jul 6th 2013, 1:42 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you! It's very helpful.
You're welcome.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
*sigh*

sile,

I was writing in this thread (before you came into it) trying to help windsong.

I asked you a simple question predicated on the knowledge that in the past you have asked similar questions in this community about entering the UK on a US passport. And I know that you were told many stories of how persons can be turned around at the border if Border Force does not like what they see.

How this equals harrassment, I have no idea. But I suppose you are going to come along now and tell us.
If by chance I don't receive my UK passport in time and try to enter with my US passport and UK birth certificate, could they make me go back to the US??
Old Jul 6th 2013, 2:23 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Windsong! Read this. I found it on another thread.

Re: UK Passport timeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Somebody has just started another thread TODAY ("weeding out...) to which one commenter said that the Washington Consulate was closing this autumn! Anybody on this present thread know if that's true?
I should clarify; the Consulate will remain, the Regional Passport Processing Centre will close. All passport applications from British residents of the Americas will be made directly to the UK from then on.
Popping in from Italy. They are closing all the regional passport centres. They only proccessed passports. The passports came from the UK anyway. The one in Paris closed the day after I sent my PP off for renewal! We now have to send the to the UK directly. Some bright spark on the Italian forum jokingly suggested that they would start outsourcing them to India next. A reduction in the cost of overseas renewals has been promised once the system is up and running.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 2:26 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

If by chance I don't receive my UK passport in time and try to enter with my US passport and UK birth certificate, could they make me go back to the US??
I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer on this, windsong.

You can research internet forums and look for people having successfully entered using a US passport and UK birth certificate. That might give you an idea of whether or not you would have the same success. But, even if you do, the problem with anecdotal evidence of people being successful doing something outside the norms is - well they were trying to do something outside the norms. And there is always the chance the next person who tries it will fail, simply because they come up against an authority who only follows protocol to the letter.

My best advise to you would be to get your UK passport. You've got a lot to do right now if you want to hit your target deadline. IMO, your time would be better spent doing things that will help you hit that target, rather than spending time on the internet looking for "other ways". You know what I mean? I don't know how to type that out in a way that doesn't seem blunt.......
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer on this, windsong.

You can research internet forums and look for people having successfully entered using a US passport and UK birth certificate. That might give you an idea of whether or not you would have the same success. But, even if you do, the problem with anecdotal evidence of people being successful doing something outside the norms is - well they were trying to do something outside the norms. And there is always the chance the next person who tries it will fail, simply because they come up against an authority who only follows protocol to the letter.

My best advise to you would be to get your UK passport. You've got a lot to do right now if you want to hit your target deadline. IMO, your time would be better spent doing things that will help you hit that target, rather than spending time on the internet looking for "other ways". You know what I mean? I don't know how to type that out in a way that doesn't seem blunt.......
RebeccaJo, I am not looking for other ways. Of course, I am doing my best to get my passport but, as an adult, I am obviously trying to come up with a Plan B - just in case.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:14 pm
WhiteRabbit

RebeccaJo, I am not looking for other ways. Of course, I am doing my best to get my passport but, as an adult, I am obviously trying to come up with a Plan B - just in case.
Of course.

https://www.synthetix.info/fco/
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:54 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I found both my "expired" passports so have to renew them. Since I have to go to the post office as they expired more than 15 years ago, can I still get the US passport back in 2-3 weeks if I pay extra?

What would happen if I left this country using my British passport?
Can't help on UK passports as all of ours have expired, but on the US side....

We had to renew my sons US passport earlier this year. It was a pain to actually get to see someone in the post office to do it. Most of the ones round us won't do appointments, and only issue so many passports a day, so if you weren't there before they opened, you were out of luck. Eventually we got a short notice appointment and after that it all went smoothly. We didn't pay for the expedited processing, but still had the passport back within 3 weeks. Can't guarantee that would still hold good now, as I guess summer may be busier, but we put it down to the apparent "rationing" at the post office! If you definitely need it back quickly, the extra $60 (?) may be worth paying and you'll never know if it was wasted or not

Photo - from past experience, I would take a set of photos with you...the on site facilities at USPS around us are very unreliable.

I've entered UK probably 15 times in the last 7 years on a US passport, and have been asked each time how long I was staying, but never been asked to show a return ticket. Not saying it is or isn't a requirement, just that I've never had to prove it. May make a difference that we have always come in through Teesside, rather than Heathrow or one of the other main airports.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 11:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

"At least six weeks" is a disclaimer. Usually it takes around two weeks for a straightforward and complete application. It can also depend on demand, staffing levels, etc..
Old Jul 7th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

I looked into this in some detail although I wanted to enter on an expired Irish passport, rather than an expired UK passport (and with a current passport from a country other than the US). I read huge numbers of threads on different fora, tried to get info from the UKBA etc. The conclusion I ultimately drew was that no one can even give you an estimate of the likelihood of success. You won't know until you rock up at the desk at Heathrow.

At the very least, it seems that you would likely be taken aside for questioning and that this might be brief or might take several hours. From what I read it is (considerably) more likely than not that you would eventually be allowed to enter the country but it's not a given.

I eventually acquired an emergency passport but my understanding is that you would not be given one because from what I recall of your timetable you still have time to get a normal passport using the standard application route. I would assume such rules are fairly standard across different countries.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you wish to return to the UK as a UK resident and haven't got a valid UK PP...ideally you should apply to your nearest British Consulate for an Emergency Travel Document. I think you have to attend in person to obtain an ETD.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you wish to return to the UK as a UK resident and haven't got a valid UK PP...ideally you should apply to your nearest British Consulate for an Emergency Travel Document. I think you have to attend in person to obtain an ETD.
Further to what Almo has said, if you haven't yet actually booked your flight you are not really justified in expecting to get an Emergency Travel Document because you in theory still have good time to get a regular passport, plus there is the cost associated with the need to get to the nearest consulate for the physical interview that is indeed required.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, they may have to delay you while they verify your right to enter, thats all.

Take your expired UK passport with you as well as the US one and your birth certificate.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

How long does it take to renew a passport? A month?

My passport expired 15 years ago and, according to a comment on another thread, it will be treated as if I was applying for a brand new passport which, I assume, will lengthen the time.

Can anyone give a ballpark timeframe?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:24 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

I'm guessing you are in UK?? either way all the information can be found at

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

for a "first" passport time given is 6weeks
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Default re: Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'm guessing you are in UK?? either way all the information can be found at

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

for a "first" passport time given is 6weeks
Thank you.

Frankly, six weeks or even a month is ridiculous! One should be able to fly to the nearest consulate and renew in person the same day if necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.