Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Well, both my passports (UK/USA) are expired. Am I reading correctly that if the US passport is expired more than 15 yrs ago, I have to go in person to renew it???
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports

Originally Posted by windsong
Well, both my passports (UK/USA) are expired. Am I reading correctly that if the US passport is expired more than 15 yrs ago, I have to go in person to renew it???
Not hard to do, you can make an appointment at the post office to do it or at the county clerks office.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Not hard to do, you can make an appointment at the post office to do it or at the county clerks office.
Ohhh, that's okay then. I thought I would have to go to the immigration office miles away!

To top it all, I can't find my US passport. I think it was only good for 10 years anyway so I know it has expired.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I found both my "expired" passports so have to renew them. Since I have to go to the post office as they expired more than 15 years ago, can I still get the US passport back in 2-3 weeks if I pay extra?

What would happen if I left this country using my British passport?
Old Jul 4th 2013, 10:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I found both my "expired" passports so have to renew them. Since I have to go to the post office as they expired more than 15 years ago, can I still get the US passport back in 2-3 weeks if I pay extra?

What would happen if I left this country using my British passport?
I think you have to pay extra to expedite the passport. Probably worth it.
Can you leave on your US passport and enter UK with your new US passport and expired UK one?
Didn't someone else do this? Renew the UK one from UK as it's cheaper.
Or have the UK one expedited too.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

According to the website of the British Embassy it takes "at least six weeks" to renew my UK passport. Is there any way to get it done faster than this??

Mu USA passport can be renewed in 2-3 weeks if necessary so I am okay with that one.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you have to submit a travel itinerary when you renew your UK passport? I don't want to book flights until I KNOW for sure my passport will be back in time.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to submit a travel itinerary when you renew your UK passport? I don't want to book flights until I KNOW for sure my passport will be back in time.
I could be wrong about this, but if you fly to the U.K on your U.S passport won't they want to see a return ticket?
You might want to bite the bullet and expedite your U.K renewal, mine took 3 month two years ago.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I could be wrong about this, but if you fly to the U.K on your U.S passport won't they want to see a return ticket?
You might want to bite the bullet and expedite your U.K renewal, mine took 3 month two years ago.
I am trying to expedite the renewal but I would like to get it before six weeks from now. I am wondering if there is a way to get it sooner.

I was planning to use my US passport to exit USA and UK passport to enter UK.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:41 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

You might PM the member WhoFan63. She recently had to get a new UK passport. I cannot recall if hers was a renewal or if she needed a new one.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
You might PM the member WhoFan63. She recently had to get a new UK passport. I cannot recall if hers was a renewal or if she needed a new one.
Thank you. I just sent her a note. I seem to remember hers took even longer, though.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:35 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I would be interested in knowing the answer to that question about needing to show a return ticket if you enter the U.K. on your U.S. passport. I never heard of that.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:37 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
I would be interested in knowing the answer to that question about needing to show a return ticket if you enter the U.K. on your U.S. passport. I never heard of that.
You haven't?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:38 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

I am trying to expedite the renewal but I would like to get it before six weeks from now. I am wondering if there is a way to get it sooner.

I was planning to use my US passport to exit USA and UK passport to enter UK.
I would think you could enter the U.K. on your U.S. passport and just renew your U.K. passport when you're living there.

Last edited by sile; Jul 5th 2013 at 7:48 pm. Reason: misread
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sile
I would think you could enter the U.K. on your U.S. passport and just renew your U.K. passport when you're living there.
Just curious who told you it would be 5 weeks to renew the U.S. one. That seems awfully long to me. Is that done through the USPS?
I went to gov.uk to the passports section and it says at least six weeks. I called the British Embassy in Wash DC - useless! They gave me a 900 number to call with questions but I can't call it from my cell phone and I don't have a landline.

I also asked about payment. They said it must be by Visa or MasterCard. I said what if I don't want to pay with a credit card and would rather pay cash. They didn't know what to do with that one. I asked if payments are processed here or in the UK - they didn't know the answer.

Also, most of the time a human being doesn't answer the phone. I was lucky - sort of!

Talk about frustrated!

Last edited by windsong; Jul 5th 2013 at 7:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.