Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Why UK border agency requires Comprehensive medical insurance? EEA national

Why UK border agency requires Comprehensive medical insurance? EEA national

Old May 12th 2011, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Kalu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why UK border agency requires Comprehensive medical insurance? EEA national

Hi,

I am a EEA national and wish to settle down in the UK. I am wondering on two things:

1. Why does UK border agency require proof of comprehensive medical insurance in the self sufficient category? Isnt NHS covering everything for free? Or will I have to sign up insurance?

2. Do I have to register with UK border agency now in order to claim indefinite leave to remain after five years? Or should I just wait for five years without registering and keep working in the UK and then apply for it?

Thanks.
Old May 12th 2011, 9:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why UK border agency requires Comprehensive medical insurance? EEA national

Where did you read the rule about having Comprehensive medical insurance? Maybe if you link us to it, someone here will know more and be able to explain it.
No idea about ILR, but some of the spouses of our member have taken the life in the UK test.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Why UK border agency requires Comprehensive medical insurance? EEA national

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Where did you read the rule about having Comprehensive medical insurance? Maybe if you link us to it, someone here will know more and be able to explain it.
No idea about ILR, but some of the spouses of our member have taken the life in the UK test.

Here is the link to the form to be filled:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si.../eea/eea11.pdf

On its page 9, it states:

S E C T I O N 6 - O T h E R Q U A L I F I E d P E R S O N S

Complete this section only if you are applying as someone who is economically self-sufficient, retired or permanently
incapacitated.

Please tick the relevant box below to show the basis on which you are applying for a registration certificate and provide the documentary evidence requested.

* Economically self-sufficient

Evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance and funds sufficient to maintain yourself and any family members included in this application during the time you intend to reside on this basis. These funds can come from the employment or self-employment of any of your family members residing in the Uk with you. documentary evidence of their employment
or funds should be supplied

------------------------------------------------

So as you see from the text underlined above, it is required to submit evidence of medical insurance.

Why is this? when NHS covers everything.....
Old May 13th 2011, 12:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Some people have discussed this here and say the NHS card was sufficient Other bought insurance from Aviva
If you google "comprehensive medical insurance uk" all kinds of companies come up including BUPA and Aviva.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Some people have discussed this here and say the NHS card was sufficient Other bought insurance from Aviva
If you google "comprehensive medical insurance uk" all kinds of companies come up including BUPA and Aviva.
Thanks for it. Ya, NHS card would work fine, checked with UK border agency also today.
Old May 14th 2011, 1:04 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

try the eea section of www.immigrationboards.com