Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Can a USC enter the UK before a UKC on an ILE/settlement visa?

Can a USC enter the UK before a UKC on an ILE/settlement visa?

Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

stixng has a spectacular aura aboutstixng has a spectacular aura aboutstixng has a spectacular aura about
Default Can a USC enter the UK before a UKC on an ILE/settlement visa?

I am a British citizen and my husband is United States citizen. We will have been married for 4 years at the end of March. We've decided to relocate to London after I get my US citizenship (I'm eligible on July 1).

We are visiting London in April and my husband will take the Life in the UK test.

Once we're back from our visit to London, do we just submit the VAF4A form for the settlement visa and then in the additional notes do we ask for the ILE?

Also, once he is granted the settlement visa/ILE, can he go ahead to the UK first (while I wait for my US citizenship) to look for a job or do we have to enter the country together to 'activate' the visa? We have a house in London.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, thanks for all your help/advice!!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a USC enter the UK before a UKC on an ILE/settlement visa?

I am also currently planning to file for an ILE visa, as my OH and I are relocating to the UK after living here in the US for the last 7 years.

As far as I understand it, the sponsor (the UK spouse) has to enter the UK at the same time or before the US spouse. Unless you are using third-party support, then that may not be the case - I'm not entirely sure on that. I've been doing all my research on ILE on this forum: www.talk.uk-yankee.com. They have a good amount of knowledgeable experts there (just like here!).

The VAF4A form is not the actual form that you submit though. Your husband will actually submit the visa application online and then print it out. The VAF4A is very similar to the visa application, and asks generally the same questions. You can fill out and submit the form on the WorldBridge website.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:58 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

I think you find it is joining or accompanying spouse as the rules.
I do wonder though if they are following shortly whether this would be a problem when you enter. We have looked at this for when we apply and have decided we will travel together then, either one can come back and sort out what is needed if anything and then return, expensive but prevents any possible hassle.
Old May 16th 2011, 12:54 am
Just Joined

stixng has a spectacular aura aboutstixng has a spectacular aura aboutstixng has a spectacular aura about

never did thank you guys for your advice, Thanks!!

Bluegrass Lass did you get the visa? we applied y'day!