What does my visa type mean?

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

tibird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does my visa type mean?

Hi, i don't know if this is the right place for my query, I'm new. I'm moving to the uk soon with my Brit husband. Got my spouse visa about a week ago and just to make sure can someone explain this to me...this is what is printed on my visa:

Type: SPOUSE/CP- Spouse/CP of (husband name)

Obsrv. Indefinite leave to enter the UK

...here's my confusion, most peoples spouse visa I've seen says,,,

Type: SETTLEMENT- Spouse/CP of (....)
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does my visa type mean?

Is there a date from and to on your visa stamp? Sounds as though you have been given a 27 month duration visa.

Have you taken the Life in the UK test yet? How long have you been married?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Try this uk-yankee site. It has a wealth of information or you can post your question there. Here is the visa & citizenship forum:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

The site: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

@ Sandiegogirl

Its valid until expiry date of my passport Aug 2014 which is only 23 months been married 3 years and no liuk test. Hubby is army Brit u see. Rules might be slightly different maybe. Thanks

@Brigette
Thanks i 'll have a look
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tibird
@ Sandiegogirl

Its valid until expiry date of my passport Aug 2014 which is only 23 months been married 3 years and no liuk test. Hubby is army Brit u see. Rules might be slightly different maybe. Thanks

@Brigette
Thanks i 'll have a look
You have been provided with the provisional visa, due to the fact that you have not taken the test and have been married less than three years.

You will be able to apply for Indefinite leave to remain at the end of the 23 month period as stated on your passport.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Its valid until expiry date of my passport Aug 2014 which is only 23 months been married 3 years and no liuk test. Hubby is army Brit u see. Rules might be slightly different maybe.
Tibird, can you or your hubby talk to someone on staff of the army who may know how this works for military Brits married to foreigners? Seems like they must know the rules.

I found this page on ILR for British Army families, which may help:
http://www.aff.org.uk/army_family_li...p_lifetest.htm
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

@WEBlue
i 've asked army staff about it and the helpful man got some further interesting info. Apparently I just need to have my stamp transferred to my new passport in 23 months so that I can be ''switched'' to ILR, is that even possible lol

Now here's what the aff site you gave me says:
What is ILE? - Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE) is essentially the same as ILR, it does have an expiry date which coincides with the passport expiry date but the visa is indefinite. Dependants can carry their expired passport with them whenever they travel or they can choose to apply for the visa to be transferred to the new passport....confused.com

@SanDiegogirl
You are making sense, but its the above info that's got me wondering. My visa doesn't even have 'no recourse to public funds' on it. Do you know where I can find more on provisional visas?

Thanks so much for all your help guys
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you apply for your visa before or after 9 July 2012?

You are married to a Military serving UK guy. Did you apply under Appendix 3? dependents of members of HM forces?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

I applied before 9th July and as the Spouse of member of HM Forces
Old Sep 24th 2012, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Obsrv. Indefinite leave to enter the UK
That means you have permanent residency - or in other words, indefinite leave. Do you meet these requirements? It's a bit different for a spouse of a member of the HM armed forces.
Its valid until expiry date of my passport Aug 2014 which is only 23 months
That's normal - the indefinite leave is indefinite, however an expiry date is on the visa label that matches the passport expiry date. When getting a new passport you can get a new visa label put into it, or travel with both old and new passport. On that link to UKBA, it says the cost to get the visa transferred to a new passport is £220 by mail, or £661 in person - so definitely consider carrying both passports (although it could hold you up a bit at immigration).
Old Sep 24th 2012, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Yes I meet those requirements, defo different than normal rules I'm happy now, aaah the joys of being an army wife
roaring mouse you're a

Thanks everyone!