Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Please Help?!? born 1981, illegitimate married later, chasing Brit Passport

Please Help?!? born 1981, illegitimate married later, chasing Brit Passport

Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

fr0dzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Please Help?!? born 1981, illegitimate married later, chasing Brit Passport

Soooo, needless to say I am really confused!

I've read stories of people getting passports in my situation, but I've also heard a lot of grief from people not being successful.

My father is English, born there, moved with family to Australia when he was a teen. Met my mother, had me and two of my sisters, THEN got married. I was born in January 1981. I also have a grandfather and grandmother from the UK (dads dad and mum), and grand parents on mums side from Holland.

Annoying thing is, one of my sisters was born out of wedlock but in 1983 and there was no dramas for her. I hate the fact that my parents choice to get married when they were more financially stable may affect my ability to live and work in europe so greatly!

Anyway, does anyone at all have some hope for me??

My best friend has moved to the UK, my plan was to move there and live with her and her partner in July next year, but if I can't get this passport I might have to give up on that hope.

I've done some searches online and all the sites with the info seem to be rather expensive sites to use. They give suggestions of British Passport by descent prior to 1983, or British Passport by Double Descent.

Any information, tips, links or suggestions that will help would be much appreciated! Thanks! =)
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Please Help?!? born 1981, illegitimate married later, chasing Brit Passport

Also just read about something else called Right of Abode... not sure what it is, looking into it further.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help?!? born 1981, illegitimate married later, chasing Brit Passport

As you seem to be aware, the law changed with effect from 1 January, 1983.

My reading is that your parents' late marriage does not exclude your obtaining citizenship by descent provided your father is named on your birth certificate. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174145

Rather than spend big bucks on immigration consultants, I suggest you just apply for the UK passport and see what evidence they demand. You will need a copy of Form C2 from the UK embassy (High Commission in Australia?).

You will not qualify from Dutch citizenship through descent from your grandparents.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Wow, that article makes it all seem so simple!!! I've been searching for hours and hours and hours on this topic and everything I've found has been complete jargon! lol! Thanks heaps Holly! =)
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure that you will need form C1 (C2 is for the under 16s) - and if your dad is on your birth cert you should be OK but you will also have to provide evidence of his birth in UK I believe. You can download the forms from here http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ications-forms but you cant use the smart form option

Otherwise you can just apply for an ancestry visa given your UK born grandparents (again, might be an issue with your dad needing to be named on your birth certificate)

See the wonderful JAJ's response to someone in much your situation here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767601

Last edited by quoll; Sep 21st 2012 at 4:26 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

You will need a copy of your father's birth certificate, if you don't have one (or if our father is uncooperative in this process) you can order one here
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

You will also need an official copy of your parents' marriage certificate (presumably Australian) and divorce papers (or death certificates if widowed) if either or both had prior marriages.

They will also want to know a number of your father's UK passport or prior passport and a photocopy of your Australian passport main page if you have an Australian passport.

You will definitely need to include a cover letter explaining that your parents married after you were born and that you claim British citizenship as of the date of their marriage. As they say at
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...arried_Fathers
Parents marry after the child's birth
The law in its detail is highly complex, but as a general rule if the parents get married after the child is born, then the child becomes a British citizen at that date. There is no age limit.
For an idea of how complex the law can be, it's necessary to read the documents "LEGITIMATION" and "DOMICILE" in Volume 2 of the Home Office Nationality Instructions.
This will undoubtedly make your application take longer than most, perhaps 40 days.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/co...ultTableAnchor
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Awesome, thanks for all the help everyone! Now I just have to pay for my dads birth certificate because he lost his... fun fun! Then hopefully get this all sent off and approved before Jan coz my flight is end of Jan! :O Anyone got tips on best sort of cheap car to purchase over there, I know insurance there is ridiculously expensive, even for just the compulsory insurance. So trying to keep my costs down to under $2000 Australian all up. Thanks again! =)