British passport/Australia

Old Sep 24th 2012, 7:14 am
Just Joined

eddiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passport/Australia

Hi all, I am trying to obtain British passport/citizenship through my parents being born in England, I am 42 and at the time of my birth my parents were living in Australia as Australian citizens but unmarried, after my birth my parents were married, my understanding through continued frustrating research is I have a right through my father for British citizenship, Believing this to be the case I applied for a passport some years ago but was asked to supply more evidence (domicile from father) unfortunately I aquired this information to late and my application timed out, along with my hard earned cash. I am trying to establish before going through this whole process again, A. Do I have a legitimate right to claim citizenship/right of abode/passport
B. Exactly what information is gleaned from the domicile from my father, it appears they want to know where his allegiance lies but im unsure, I would greatly appreciate any direction or advice I can get, I have read and re-read most all of the information on the UK border agency site which is just bloody misleading, I have contacted the British Embassy both in New Zealand and England but just got diverted back to we site.
I await with baited breath your replies.
cheers,
Eddiej

Last edited by Sue; Sep 24th 2012 at 7:19 am. Reason: Moved from Welcome Inn
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport/Australia

It matters with some countries but generally not with Australia - whether your father changed domicile from England to Australia is irrelevant (and it's generally quite difficult to change domicile). You should have acquired British citizenship at the point your parents married.

SO ... you should not have been asked to supply all this information.

Read (carefully): http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...arried_Fathers - including the links to the Home Office Nationality Instructions.

As passport offices (outside the U.K.) are impossible to contact and often don't understand the details of nationality law, your best option is probably to fill out form NS with fee. With a certificate of nationality status, you may then apply for a British passport.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ty/form_ns.pdf
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...y/guide_ns.pdf

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...nts/66-nat-add

Get new original sets of birth and marriage certificates as you will probably not get them back. Also, do not send away your Australian passport.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:19 am
Just Joined

eddiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British passport/Australia

That is great news, thank you for the response, I will send off these forms and hopefully receive confirmation of my eligibility status, any other suggestions do's and don’ts will be appreciated, I guess until I get that passport in my hands I will be sceptical, but hope there is
cheers.