Want to move to the UK - can we use rental income

Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

gjscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to move to the UK - can we use rental income

I'm confused so can you please help me clear this up?

I am a British citizen and have been living in the USA for 11 years.
I have an American wife and a 3 year old son who is British by default.

I wish to move back to the UK so what do I need:

I have the required savings or income or a combination of them both.

I have earned the equivalent of £18,600 (or more if required) per annum for the past 6 months.

I have an income of £18,000 already from my rental properties in the UK....
...so do I still need the guaranteed offer of a job in UK with an annual salary of at least £18,600 (or more if required) which will start within 3 months of your return to the UK ?

I can't tell if the requirements on the Gov.uk website are all required or only some are.

Also, are there any disadvantages to my wife coming to the UK as a visitor and THEN applying to stay ?

Last edited by gjscott; Aug 12th 2015 at 9:33 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? See this thread for basic informat

Originally Posted by gjscott
I'm confused so can you please help me clear this up?

I am a British citizen and have been living in the USA for 11 years.
I have an American wife and a 3 year old son who is British by default.

I wish to move back to the UK so what do I need:

I have the required savings or income or a combination of them both.

I have earned the equivalent of £18,600 (or more if required) per annum for the past 6 months.

I have an income of £18,000 already from my rental properties in the UK....
...so do I still need the guaranteed offer of a job in UK with an annual salary of at least £18,600 (or more if required) which will start within 3 months of your return to the UK ?

I can't tell if the requirements on the Gov.uk website are all required or only some are.
Read Sections 6.1 - 6.2 of Annex FM 1.7 in conjunction with Annex FM-SE. If your rental property income meets those requirements you don't need to receive or expect to receive a UK salary in order to meet the second part of the financial requirements.

Also, are there any disadvantages to my wife coming to the UK as a visitor and THEN applying to stay ?
Only one: it's not possible.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to the UK - can we use rental income

"Citizenship by default"

???

Surely "by descent" !
Old Aug 15th 2015, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

gjscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
"Citizenship by default"

???

Surely "by descent" !
Yes, decent, sorry.

So what do I need to do for him before we move ?
Old Aug 15th 2015, 6:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjscott
Yes, decent, sorry.

So what do I need to do for him before we move ?
Already answered here.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought....... I understand that if the rental income you are intending to use to fulfill the financial requirements is where you are going to live when you return to the UK, then it can't be used.....

Sounds logical, as the income would cease once you started living there.