Visas for US spouse and children

Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:44 am
Just Joined

prosperodgc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visas for US spouse and children

I'm a UK citizen with a US wife and four kids. We're looking into moving back to the UK permanently. From what I've read so far, I believe that we need to submit VAF4 (Settlement) visa applications for my wife and kids. I have two questions:

1. Am I right in believing that a VAF4 is required for each person (e.g. one each for the wife and four kids)?

2. The Worldbridge application site says that each application costs $1,199! That seems INSANE, as it'll set us back almost $6,000 Is there a cheaper option?

Many thanks in advance for your help on this quandary!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visas for US spouse and children

1. If you're British born then your children should have British consular birth certificates and British passports.

2. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk for visa information.

3. If you're on a green card, are you planning to abandon it?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks, JAJ.

1. True, but if we apply for citizenship for the kids now, they won't be able to pass it on to their own kids. Will they?

2. I have. It's a little confusing. I'm hoping this forum can offer a bit more "real world" clarity!

3. I'm a dual citizen which, I think, somewhat simplifies things in many ways. Let me know if I'm deluded!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prosperodgc
Thanks, JAJ.1. True, but if we apply for citizenship for the kids now, they won't be able to pass it on to their own kids. Will they?
3 scenarios for your kids regarding this:
  1. They have a child born in the UK - child would be British "otherwise than by descent"
  2. They have a child born outside UK, but with a British "otherwise than by descent" partner - child would be British by descent
  3. They have a child born outside UK, not with a British "otherwise than by descent" partner - child could possibly be registered as a British citizen by descent

Last edited by roaringmouse; Nov 29th 2010 at 9:22 am.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, roaringmouse. That pretty much matches my thinking, with the added benefit of a citation from a reliable source (e.g. not my brain!).

I'm stuck on the hereditary citizenship question. There's no guarantee any of them will have a child born in the UK or with a British partner. Given our family, it's somewhat unlikely, in fact. However, they WILL be living in the UK with me for at least six years while under the age of 18, so they'll qualify for (hereditary) British citizenship that way, regardless. So the question is, how can they enter the country legally without getting non-hereditary citizenship in advance?

If we don't apply for the children's citizenship prior to entering the UK, would we need to fill out a VAF4 for each of them?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Can you even apply for a Visa for them if they have British citizenship by decent? (I think they have that whether you like it or not) I think it may bounce back and they'll keep the fees, telling you to just apply for passports for them as they don't need a visa.
My boys are citizens by decent, where they have their babies is their problem, they can always move with their own children to UK and apply for citizenship for their children, although it looks like at least one will live in UK permanently I am hoping both.
My Dd has citizenship otherwise than by decent, so can pass on her British citizenship herself. But when we move to UK to raise her she will loose the ability to pass on her US citizenship as she won't have lived here long enough. So she gets the same as the boys (in reverse), she could move to US and apply for the childrens citizenship once here (on green cards)

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Nov 29th 2010 at 8:28 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Lawks, MommyITF, you may be right! I hadn't thought of that. Agh!

Can anyone confirm or debunk this?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

adrianinflorida is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by prosperodgc
Lawks, MommyITF, you may be right! I hadn't thought of that. Agh!

Can anyone confirm or debunk this?
We're in a similar situation. My Wife is a UK Citizen (I'm a US Citizen), our children (According to UK Consular Passport Office) simply need to apply for UK Passports NOT Citizenship, as they are citizens by descent.

As for, in the future, If they (The Children) have children with a UK spouse or in the UK that would make their children UK citizens, from what I gather.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
We're in a similar situation. My Wife is a UK Citizen (I'm a US Citizen), our children (According to UK Consular Passport Office) simply need to apply for UK Passports NOT Citizenship, as they are citizens by descent.

As for, in the future, If they (The Children) have children with a UK spouse or in the UK that would make their children UK citizens, from what I gather.
Yes, I think we'll end up going that route for the kids. Thanks, everyone!