Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Required Grade for IELTS English language tests for Settlement Visa from 29 Nov

Required Grade for IELTS English language tests for Settlement Visa from 29 Nov

Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Schbang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Required Grade for IELTS English language tests for Settlement Visa from 29 Nov

OK, so I have learnt that from 29 November 2010 English language tests will be compulsory for migrants.

Though we have been living in SG togeather for 4 years, my wife is from a non English speaking country and will be applying for her ILE settlement visa in Feb. Fortunately she speaks very good English, better than me at times, so this should be a formality for her, but a pain and expense none-the-less.

The SG UK Visa authority have directed me to the British Council and the IELTS exam run by them, S$300 and a day and half of exams, but what I don't understand and can't find is what the 'Level' is for a spouse ILE settlement visa application, in order to know the required grade. The PDF on the following page reference levels C1, B2 and B1 and their respective grade.

Does anyone know what these relate to?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...-test-partners

Thanks for your time and help with this...

Last edited by Schbang; Dec 1st 2010 at 7:15 am.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice
Default Re: Required Grade for IELTS English language tests for Settlement Visa from 29 Nov

Scxhbang

there's still an enormous amount of confusion over this requirement

the required level is very, very basic, almost kindergarten level, but most of the listed tests are much higher in standard, e.g. IELTS, as they quote a min of level 4.0

I checked the UKBA list of acceptable tests, and the TOEIC is also available in SG

http://www.ets.org/epn_directory/singapore

this is the test being favoured in Thailand, here's a link to another forum discussing this subject (ignore the flames, they're quite hot on this forum)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...starts-monday/
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Schbang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Required Grade for IELTS English language tests for Settlement Visa from 29 Nov

Many thanks, that looks like a better option, we were close to booking the IELTS exam aswell. TOEIC looks better suited and cheaper at S$100.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:53 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

PM sent