Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas?

US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas?

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:13 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Question US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas?

Hello,

This question is for a friend of mine. She's from the UK and will be moving back next year with her wife who is American. Her wife doesn't need a visa to work in the UK (she is an accountant but all her clients are in the US and she travels to see them).

But in terms of her entering the UK to live, is there anything that they need to do? Or can she just come and go on a visitors visa?

Thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas?

Originally Posted by Tigger1
This question is for a friend of mine. She's from the UK and will be moving back next year with her wife who is American. Her wife doesn't need a visa to work in the UK (she is an accountant but all her clients are in the US and she travels to see them).

But in terms of her entering the UK to live, is there anything that they need to do? Or can she just come and go on a visitors visa?
The American will need a visa.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:36 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
The American will need a visa.
But what kind of visa?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

But what kind of visa?
Settlement visa I would imagine. The fact that she does not intend do work is not relelvant.

'Her wife' is this a same sex relationship?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:51 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Yes same sex.

Thanks for the info, I'll let her know.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes same sex.

Thanks for the info, I'll let her know.

Others might have more up to date info, but IIRC the same rules apply for same sex applicants (genuine relationship, proof of funds etc), but the actual form set is specific for those applicants.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:08 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Others might have more up to date info, but IIRC the same rules apply for same sex applicants (genuine relationship, proof of funds etc), but the actual form set is specific for those applicants.
Thanks again I sent her some info on the visa stuff as I believe the rules changed this year, and it's been a while since she was living in England!