British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/us-spouse-living-uk-but-will-not-working-what-needs-done-visas-778480/)

Tigger1 Nov 22nd 2012 9:13 am

US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas?

Hello,

This question is for a friend of mine. She's from the UK and will be moving back next year with her wife who is American. Her wife doesn't need a visa to work in the UK (she is an accountant but all her clients are in the US and she travels to see them).

But in terms of her entering the UK to live, is there anything that they need to do? Or can she just come and go on a visitors visa?

Thanks

roaringmouse Nov 22nd 2012 9:33 am

Re: US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas?

Originally Posted by Tigger1 (Post 10396921)
This question is for a friend of mine. She's from the UK and will be moving back next year with her wife who is American. Her wife doesn't need a visa to work in the UK (she is an accountant but all her clients are in the US and she travels to see them).

But in terms of her entering the UK to live, is there anything that they need to do? Or can she just come and go on a visitors visa?

The American will need a visa.

Tigger1 Nov 22nd 2012 9:36 am

Re: US Spouse living in UK but will not be working, what needs to be done for visas?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 10396951)
The American will need a visa.

But what kind of visa?

Tr1boy Nov 22nd 2012 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Tigger1 (Post 10396955)
But what kind of visa?

Settlement visa I would imagine. The fact that she does not intend do work is not relelvant.

'Her wife' is this a same sex relationship?

Tigger1 Nov 22nd 2012 9:51 am

Yes same sex.

Thanks for the info, I'll let her know.

Tr1boy Nov 22nd 2012 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Tigger1 (Post 10396973)
Yes same sex.

Thanks for the info, I'll let her know.

Others might have more up to date info, but IIRC the same rules apply for same sex applicants (genuine relationship, proof of funds etc), but the actual form set is specific for those applicants.

Tigger1 Nov 22nd 2012 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 10396981)
Others might have more up to date info, but IIRC the same rules apply for same sex applicants (genuine relationship, proof of funds etc), but the actual form set is specific for those applicants.

Thanks again :) I sent her some info on the visa stuff as I believe the rules changed this year, and it's been a while since she was living in England!