Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK Spouse Visa from South Africa: Accommodation - Letter of Invite

UK Spouse Visa from South Africa: Accommodation - Letter of Invite

Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default UK Spouse Visa from South Africa: Accommodation - Letter of Invite

I hope someone can guide me:

I am British Citizen with Permanent Residence in SA, my South African husband will be applying for a Spouse Visa for the UK. Initially, we (myself, husband and two children) will be staying with my Mother and Step-Father in their home, until my husband finds a job.

I understant that we need to furnish a 'letter of invite' from my Mum/Step-Dad with the application, this is to say that we are welcome to stay in their home with them and that there is enough room for us all etc.,

I understand the letter is to be addressed to my husband, her son-in-law, my questions are this...

Does this letter need to be a formal sounding letter, really intended for the Visa Application Process but just addressed to the Applicant or should it be a friendly sounding letter from a Mother-In-Law to her Son-In-Law.....?

Also, what amount should she write that she's asking us to pay her towards rent, utilities and food?

Is there anyone perhaps that has been through this already and successfully received their visa and maybe have a copy of their invite letter which we could see to get an idea of what to actually write?

This is my first obstacle and I"m sure there will be many more to come, so grateful to anyone for any help or advise.

Audrey
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa from South Africa: Accommodation - Letter of Invite

Seems like no-one has any answers for me

Now I have another question:

In the Letter of Invite from my parents, would it be better for my Mum to say that she is charging us a monthly fee to cover rent, utilities and food or best to just leave that out altogether.

We would obviously be paying her money towards our stay as it's only fair, but I was wondering if this needs to be mentioned and if so, should it be a 'realistic' amount like GBP400.00 per month or should it be less?

Thanks
Audrey
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
In the Letter of Invite from my parents, would it be better for my Mum to say that she is charging us a monthly fee to cover rent, utilities and food or best to just leave that out altogether.

We would obviously be paying her money towards our stay as it's only fair, but I was wondering if this needs to be mentioned and if so, should it be a 'realistic' amount like GBP400.00 per month or should it be less?
The amount would be whatever you've agreed to - no one else can answer that.

Whatever the amount (including if it's zero) then it would be best to have it in the letter, as this would form part of considering if you're able to financially support yourselves.

Not sure what the preferred way is for the letter to be addressed or written, as I have heard of this type of letter being written to the ECO rather than applicant.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Not sure what the preferred way is for the letter to be addressed or written, as I have heard of this type of letter being written to the ECO rather than applicant.
Thanks - but now I'm even more confused!!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

Auds - I kinda remember when we were first going the route of moving to Bristol to stay with an old school friend, I was told (can't remember by who) that I would need to get a copy of one of her utility bills and then a letter saying that we could stay there. I also recall reading somewhere that the house has to be large enough to accommodate everyone i.e. no sleeping on a floor in a living room perhaps.... I'll see if I can find out anymore details on the web for you.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Donna Allan
Auds - I kinda remember when we were first going the route of moving to Bristol to stay with an old school friend, I was told (can't remember by who) that I would need to get a copy of one of her utility bills and then a letter saying that we could stay there. I also recall reading somewhere that the house has to be large enough to accommodate everyone i.e. no sleeping on a floor in a living room perhaps.... I'll see if I can find out anymore details on the web for you.
Thanks Donna, received your emails....much appreciated you definitely managed to find more out about it than I have.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

beatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to all

This document might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
immigrationdoc.pdf (123.3 KB, 1800 views)
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beatle
This document might help.
Thank you for this beatle
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:46 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

I am American, my husband is British. We have been married for 5.5 years, living outside the UK. We are returning to the UK in July to live permanently.

I just received my UK Settlement Visa yesterday. We will be staying with his mum until we find our own accommodation, and here is the letter she wrote for us that we submitted with our packet:

================================================== ===
Accommodation Statement in support of the Settlement Visa application of __________________________________

Visa Application #______________

My name is ________. ___ is my son and ____ is my daughter-in-law.

____ and ____ have been married for 6 years.

I am the owner of the following residence and property:

(list complete address)

I own this property free and clear of any encumbrances (supporting documentation attached).

Current occupants of this property are: ______________

This property was built in ____ and is a _____ (describe home, how many bedrooms, bathrooms, all other rooms, etc.)

During their marriage, ____ and ____ have stayed in my house whilst here on holiday. Upon their return to the UK to settle here permanently, they are welcome to live with me rent-free until they are in a position to maintain themselves which I anticipate to be soon after their arrival in the UK. They will have their own bedroom and en-suite bathroom. Their presence in my home will not create a situation of overcrowding.

________
Signature
================================================== =

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DDL
I am American, my husband is British. We have been married for 5.5 years, living outside the UK. We are returning to the UK in July to live permanently.

I just received my UK Settlement Visa yesterday. We will be staying with his mum until we find our own accommodation, and here is the letter she wrote for us that we submitted with our packet:

================================================== ===
Accommodation Statement in support of the Settlement Visa application of __________________________________

Visa Application #______________

My name is ________. ___ is my son and ____ is my daughter-in-law.

____ and ____ have been married for 6 years.

I am the owner of the following residence and property:

(list complete address)

I own this property free and clear of any encumbrances (supporting documentation attached).

Current occupants of this property are: ______________

This property was built in ____ and is a _____ (describe home, how many bedrooms, bathrooms, all other rooms, etc.)

During their marriage, ____ and ____ have stayed in my house whilst here on holiday. Upon their return to the UK to settle here permanently, they are welcome to live with me rent-free until they are in a position to maintain themselves which I anticipate to be soon after their arrival in the UK. They will have their own bedroom and en-suite bathroom. Their presence in my home will not create a situation of overcrowding.

________
Signature
================================================== =

Hope this helps!
Thank you DDL - much appreciated, and I"m happy that you received your Spouse Visa for the UK. Getting the whole thing together, is quite a job! I wish you all the best in your new life in the UK. Hopefully, we'll be following soon!