UK spouse visa granted - When can I enter the UK?

Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:44 am
Just Joined

newarrival is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK spouse visa granted - When can I enter the UK?

Apologies if this has been posted before - but I have a query.
Once your spouse visa has been issued - if you arrive in the UK 2 months after the date of issue - will that be ok for the FLR (M) requirements?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you
Old Jan 24th 2015, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa granted - When can I enter the UK?

Originally Posted by newarrival
Once your spouse visa has been issued - if you arrive in the UK 2 months after the date of issue - will that be ok for the FLR (M) requirements?

Thank you
That would mean you won't have to apply for a third spouse visa to get ILR, if that was what you were asking?

The first spouse visa gives you an extra 3 months to pack up and move your life to the UK.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 2:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newarrival

Thank you

Originally Posted by formula
That would mean you won't have to apply for a third spouse visa to get ILR, if that was what you were asking?

The first spouse visa gives you an extra 3 months to pack up and move your life to the UK.
Anyone, please answer the following & forgive me, if its basic knowledge that everyone should know.

Further details on what a first, second, third spouse visa is all about & how this all fits in I'm really not up to date on the FLR, ILR visa or it leading to the time to citizenship for the spouse of a Brit?

Is it three years or five years before a person can be naturalized?

thanks

Last edited by not2old; Jan 24th 2015 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

When you obtain a spouse visa the first visa is issued for 33 months (30 months for the duration of the visa and an extra three months to get allow you time to enter the UK).

Then at the end of the 33 months you apply for Further leave to remain (FLR) which is for another 30 months. At the end of this period (so you are now up to 5 years) you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) which allows permanent residency in the UK.

At this stage you can then apply for Naturalisation. So it's 5 years minumum before applying for Naturalisation.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone - for your replies. Glad to know there are other Canadians here too
The answers helped - I should be ok. My visa was granted on January 14th and I will be arriving in the UK in 2 months and 3 days of that issue date.
(Formula and SanDiegogirl-that's cleared it up for me- much appreciated)
Old Jan 24th 2015, 7:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
When you obtain a spouse visa the first visa is issued for 33 months (30 months for the duration of the visa and an extra three months to get allow you time to enter the UK).

Then at the end of the 33 months you apply for Further leave to remain (FLR) which is for another 30 months. At the end of this period (so you are now up to 5 years) you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) which allows permanent residency in the UK.

At this stage you can then apply for Naturalisation. So it's 5 years minumum before applying for Naturalisation.
thank you so much for that.

A follow up question from our Daughter the Brit citizen who is married to a Canadian - they both live in Canada & he has no ancestor ties to the EU. They have no children & will be going the family permit/spousal route to the UK & meet the financial requirements, so no going the SS route.

On the basis he gets the visa say April 1, 2015 & they arrive in the UK within say 30 days. Is it then at 33 months from the date he enters the UK as mentioned above he applies for the FLR or sooner?

I am understanding that he has to be in the UK for (60 months) 5 years before he can apply for citizenship?

Sorry if the question is repeated or is so simple
Old Jan 24th 2015, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
thank you so much for that.

A follow up question from our Daughter the Brit citizen who is married to a Canadian - they both live in Canada & he has no ancestor ties to the EU. They have no children & will be going the family permit/spousal route to the UK & meet the financial requirements, so no going the SS route.

On the basis he gets the visa say April 1, 2015 & they arrive in the UK within say 30 days. Is it then at 33 months from the date he enters the UK as mentioned above he applies for the FLR or sooner?

I am understanding that he has to be in the UK for (60 months) 5 years before he can apply for citizenship?

Sorry if the question is repeated or is so simple
33 months from date of visa/or to put it another way; 28 days before expiration of the visa.

Yes, 5 years to citizenship.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 10:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
33 months from date of visa/or to put it another way; 28 days before expiration of the visa.

Yes, 5 years to citizenship.
thank you
Old Feb 4th 2015, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

What kind of questions would one expect to be asked at Border Control after they have seen your Spouse Visa?