UK Residence Card for Spouse and Daughter

Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Residence Card for Spouse and Daughter

Originally Posted by charlie1971
Hmmm.. I have to admit this whole process is very confusing. I was born in Canada and my parents were married and Canadian passport holders for many years prior to my birth in 1971. The number of British citizens by default is enormous if this is the case.

In any event, when I applied for my Tier 2 Visa in 2014, it never was flagged by our immigration lawyer at the time. I think most people living in Canada (or the US for that matter) under the same set of circumstances wouldn't even think twice about their status.

So, our only option at this point is really to go down the permit route for my wife and daughter and chance it based on my British citizenship (that I never knew I actually had!). Waiting for my daughter to get her passport would be long time. It takes months to get the Foreign Birth Registration done and then time after that for her passport. She would miss a ton of school, so not an option.

If I cancelled the British passport process, what is the chances that if I submitted an EEA Dependent application that they would actually check? I have never claimed British citizenship. Sounds dodgy, I know.
If your immigration adviser was aware that your parents were born in the UK then they did an extremely poor job if they're continue to advise you to apply for a Tier 2 visa. Your wife would've been half way to her British passport by this stage.

If you cannot get an Irish passport for your daughter in a timely fashion then you'll need to apply for a settlement visa for your daughter in addition to a spouse visa for your wife. As the child of a British citizen she'll be given Indefinite Leave to Enter. After three years of living in the UK with you she'll then be eligible for registration as a British citizen.

Given that the Home Office is now aware you're a British citizen by descent I very much doubt an EEA application would be successful, not that I would recommend trying to game the system in any scenario. It invariably ends in tears.

Providing you earn over £18,600 p.a. then your wife's spouse application will be relatively straightforward. Pay for priority processing and you could be looking at a two week turnaround.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

charlie1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Did you mean Indefinite Leave to Remain? I can't see an app for Indefinite Leave to Enter. If so, is there an advantage to doing this over just including my daughter on the spouse visa online application? I take it I will likely save on the IHS as the ILR route is exempt?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Did you mean Indefinite Leave to Remain? I can't see an app for Indefinite Leave to Enter. If so, is there an advantage to doing this over just including my daughter on the spouse visa online application? I take it I will likely save on the IHS as the ILR route is exempt?
You can't include your daughter on your wife's application. You need to apply for her separately. You make an application for settlement for your daughter online (Settlement->Settlement->Child) but rather than been given a 2.5 year visa like your wife she will be granted Indefinite Leave to Enter (it's ILR when you apply from within the UK, ILE if you apply from outside the UK). This does mean that she is exempt from paying the IHS. An Irish passport would be a far cheaper and easier solution but if you cannot wait then this is the way to go.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Would my daughter be eligible for ILR if the dates of arrival were the same as my wife and myself? Maybe I am confusing myself here, but I thought I read that she couldn't do that and would have to apply on the visa as my wife. Or is this not applicable if they are both coming off a Tier 2 Visa?

So just that I am clear.. My daughter would do this application.. SET(F)

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...r-18-form-setf

And my wife would do this one online.

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/apply
Old Mar 10th 2017, 2:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

If I cancelled the British passport process, what is the chances that if I submitted an EEA Dependent application that they would actually check? I have never claimed British citizenship. Sounds dodgy, I know.
The problem is that the Home Office have already told you you are a British Citizen, you do NOT have to claim it it is yours by birthright. Therefore you can't go down the EEA route in the UK, that is only for non British Citizens. As the home office know all this, then any application will be rejected. BiP is the resident guru and you would be well advised to take his advice.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Yep, all good on that front now. The process is all very confusing, so it is good to get all the facts and know what I can and can't do.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 6:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The problem is that the Home Office have already told you you are a British Citizen, you do NOT have to claim it it is yours by birthright. Therefore you can't go down the EEA route in the UK, that is only for non British Citizens. As the home office know all this, then any application will be rejected. BiP is the resident guru and you would be well advised to take his advice.
Yes indeed.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 8:53 pm

Would my daughter be eligible for ILR if the dates of arrival were the same as my wife and myself? Maybe I am confusing myself here, but I thought I read that she couldn't do that and would have to apply on the visa as my wife. Or is this not applicable if they are both coming off a Tier 2 Visa?
You've confused me.

So just that I am clear.. My daughter would do this application.. SET(F)

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...r-18-form-setf

And my wife would do this one online.

You would apply for both your wife and daughter's visa online. Your wife would apply for 'Settlement->Settlement->Wife' and she would be granted a 30 day vignette to enter the UK to collect her Spouse BRP which would be valid for 2.5 years. Your daughter would apply for 'Settlement->Settlement->Child' and she should receive a Indefinite Leave to Enter visa in her passport.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

The only online form I see is this one as my family is already living in the UK.

And it states the following...

Apply on the basis of family life or private life in the UK
Use this online application as an alternative to the FLR(M) and FLR(FP) paper forms.

Apply to remain in the UK as the family member or partner (for example, spouse) of a:

British citizen
person settled in the UK
person who has refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK
You can also use this form to apply on the basis of private life in the UK.

You can add some family members (‘dependants’) to your application. For example, if you are applying as a partner with two children, you can all apply on the same application.

You cannot use this form to apply for settlement (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’)

If you go through the online application, it does allow you to add a child, but it is the same 2.5 year timeframe and you have to pay the IHS. Otherwise, you have to fill in the SET (F) application manually for ILR.

If there is another way, please let me know... Thanks!
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:28 pm

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Welcome to the Visa4UK service, you can apply for a UK visa using this service if you’re an applicant who is not currently in the UK.

They are already here, so can't use this unfortunately.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:48 pm

Welcome to the Visa4UK service, you can apply for a UK visa using this service if you’re an applicant who is not currently in the UK.

They are already here, so can't use this unfortunately.
As already stated, your wife and daughter will need to return to Canada to make their applications.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

A most confusing case ...... not sure I have got all the info.

If the OP has now been identified as a British citizen, and his Tier 2 visa has not yet expired, why can they not switch from Tier 2 dependent to spouse visa/dependent child visa using the FLR(FP) route?

People on Tier 4 student visas, get married in the UK and then switch to spouse visas while in the UK. Is there any reason Tier 2 dependents can't?

The OP sounds as though he can meet the financial requirements.

Whether or not it resets the Indefinite Leave to remain timeframe is not important is it?
Old Mar 10th 2017, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

A bit of a misunderstanding as that will be tricky to get done. Our current Tier 2 visa expires on the 1st of April and we wanted to get this process done (using Premium at this point) here before we leave on vacation on the 8th of April. That way there are no issues coming back into the UK.

I thought we could (and it looks like we can) do this from the UK before our current visa expires. Thoughts?
Old Mar 10th 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
A most confusing case ...... not sure I have got all the info.

If the OP has now been identified as a British citizen, and his Tier 2 visa has not yet expired, why can they not switch from Tier 2 dependent to spouse visa/dependent child visa using the FLR(FP) route?

People on Tier 4 student visas, get married in the UK and then switch to spouse visas while in the UK. Is there any reason Tier 2 dependents can't?

The OP sounds as though he can meet the financial requirements.

Whether or not it resets the Indefinite Leave to remain timeframe is not important is it?
Under normal circumstances that would be fine. The problem is that the OP, as a British citizen, should have never been issued a Tier 2 visa. It's null and void ergo the immigration status of his wife and daughter in the UK, as his Tier 2 dependants, is very uncertain. They could try and make their applications from within the UK but I would suggest that it would be much safer to apply from Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.