UK Passports for Adopted US Children

Old Dec 26th 2020, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Rob8725 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Passports for Adopted US Children

Hi.

Looking for any advice on how (if possible) to get British passports for my adopted kids living in USA.
I was born in the UK, but moved to the US twenty years ago when I was 25. I'm married to a US citizen and have my US citizenship too. Except for a few trips here and there I haven’t spent much time in the UK since leaving and currently have no plan to move back there.

We adopted two girls from China (US citizens now) and my eldest (aged 16) is asking if she can get UK citizenship. Been reading a bunch online but nothing seems to apply exactly and the adoption might throw an extra wrinkle in there too.

Anyone had anything similar? Any insight is appreciated
-thanks
Old Dec 26th 2020, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passports for Adopted US Children

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passp...ity%20purposes.

The above gives all info

As you have not lived in the UK for 20 years sounds like you may not qualify....

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 26th 2020 at 5:45 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Rob8725 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for this. I hadn’t come across it. Not the answer we wanted but at least it’s pretty clear.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27th 2020, 3:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your children should be eligible for registration as British citizens. Not a cheap process but it will make them eligible for British passports.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sh-citizenship
Old Dec 27th 2020, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is the following statement not relevant and in accordance with the link I gave:

2. Hague Convention adoptions

If your child’s final adoption order is certified as having been made in accordance with the terms of the Hague Convention on inter-country adoption and at least one of the adoptive parents was a British citizen at the time the adoption order was made and the adopting parent (or in the case of a joint adoption, both adopting parents), was (were) habitually resident in the UK at the time of the final adoption order, then the child will automatically become a British citizen.

The OP has not lived in the UK for 20 years and the children were adopted in the US.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 9:53 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Is the following statement not relevant and in accordance with the link I gave:

2. Hague Convention adoptions

If your child’s final adoption order is certified as having been made in accordance with the terms of the Hague Convention on inter-country adoption and at least one of the adoptive parents was a British citizen at the time the adoption order was made and the adopting parent (or in the case of a joint adoption, both adopting parents), was (were) habitually resident in the UK at the time of the final adoption order, then the child will automatically become a British citizen.

The OP has not lived in the UK for 20 years and the children were adopted in the US.
That would make the children automatically British so there would be no need for registration. Since it doesn’t apply they’ll need to go through the registration process in order to become citizens.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 2:05 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

I adopted my American born newborn in New Jersey back in 2015 and registered him with the British Embassy. I was a naturalized American citizen back in 1999. Just lots of paperwork to fill in, but I had no issues at all.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

deleted .... forgot about being able to register for British citizenship

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 27th 2020 at 5:41 pm.