UK Naturalisation whilst Obtaining Green Card?

Old May 5th 2012, 11:20 am
Just Joined

hannahyim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Naturalisation whilst Obtaining Green Card?

Hello,

I am curious if I am able to apply for my husband's green card before applying for my UK citizenship. Forgive me if I say anything incorrectly.

Here are some details about us:
I am a US citizen, who will be living in the UK for 3 years in July with ILR with spouse status. I am wanting to obtain my UK citizenship on the 3 year mark.

My husband, whom I have been married to since June 2009, is a UK citizen who is wanting to get a green card and apply in London with Consular Application from start to finish.

We both are without criminal record, no previous marriages, and living in London.

I just realised after reading many forums that I also need to do my US taxes for UK income, which I will attempt this weekend.

I would like to apply/petition for my husband's green card asap and then get my UK naturalization in July when I am eligible. Is this wise? Or is it best to do my citizenship first and then apply for the Green Card? Just curious if the US and UK immigration talk to one another about such things.

We do want to live back in the UK in the future but would like to live in the States for a few years as well.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Feel free to ask any questions or if this is in a different forum please post the link as I have had difficulty in finding the answer.
Old May 5th 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK Naturalisation whilst Obtaining Green Card?

Originally Posted by hannahyim
Hello,

I am curious if I am able to apply for my husband's green card before applying for my UK citizenship. Forgive me if I say anything incorrectly.
Yes, you are. Just to be clear, you will not apply for his Greencard. You will send the I-130 petition for alien relative in order to establish your relationship. He will then apply for an immigrant visa. He will be sent a Greencard after he uses that visa to enter the US.

Here are some details about us:
I am a US citizen, who will be living in the UK for 3 years in July with ILR with spouse status. I am wanting to obtain my UK citizenship on the 3 year mark.
Fine.

My husband, whom I have been married to since June 2009, is a UK citizen who is wanting to get a green card and apply in London with Consular Application from start to finish.

We both are without criminal record, no previous marriages, and living in London.
Also fine.

I just realised after reading many forums that I also need to do my US taxes for UK income, which I will attempt this weekend.
Good. Well spotted.

I would like to apply/petition for my husband's green card asap and then get my UK naturalization in July when I am eligible. Is this wise? Or is it best to do my citizenship first and then apply for the Green Card? Just curious if the US and UK immigration talk to one another about such things.
I very much doubt they talk to each other about things like that. Even if they did, I don't see anything wrong with your plans. You do not need to have naturalized to begin your husband's immigrant visa process in London. Be aware that the rough timeline for him obtaining an immigrant visa is 6-8 months. After that he has 6 months to enter the US on that visa to be granted permanent resident status and be sent his Greencard.

Hope this helps.

James
Old May 5th 2012, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you that is very helpful!
Old May 5th 2012, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to apply/petition for my husband's green card asap and then get my UK naturalization in July when I am eligible. Is this wise?
Not only is it wise, it's recommended. The two processes are completely independent of each other and one will have no affect whatsoever on the other.

Ian
Old May 5th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

You have made this lil lady very happy!

Thanks again both of you for your immediate replies.

Hannah
Old May 6th 2012, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Chem is an unknown quantity at this point

We are (hopefully) in the final stages of obtaining my US visa - interview this week.

My wife (USC) has ILR and has just applied for UK citizenship. As far as I am aware there is no requirement that someone applying for UK citizenship through marriage has to intend to reside in the UK permanently.

My wife left it really late to apply (I know, I know) and we were worried about timing so my wife called the UK border agency helpline for some advice so the following comes from them.

It is quite normal to apply for citizenship when you are planning to move (to preserve your residency), and this is perfectly within the rules. We were told that even if my wife has not received her citizenship approval by July (when we are intending to move) she can send in a change of address and even take the citizenship ceremony in Chicago.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Chem; May 6th 2012 at 5:54 pm.