UK man seeking to marry US woman and both settle UK

Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Zezima is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK man seeking to marry US woman and both settle UK

Originally Posted by jmin
Glad to hear it and hope everything works out. It should be the simpler option plus she will always have a German passport now. Let us know when she receives it or whether she encounters any problems.
I asked her if she is going to be receiving a standalone German passport and she said no but the dual citizenship will be recorded on her current US one. I don't really mind either way though as long as there is concrete proof of her having such citizenship.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zezima
I asked her if she is going to be receiving a standalone German passport and she said no but the dual citizenship will be recorded on her current US one. I don't really mind either way though as long as there is concrete proof of her having such citizenship.
She will need a German PP. I am a dual UK/US citizen. The only reference to the UK in my US PP is ‘Place of Birth’, which states United Kingdom.

I cannot see anywhere in a US PP where it can possibly show she is a German citizen. Also the US only recognizes one citizenship...the US. To US authorities she is a US citizen...full stop...so why would they put otherwise in a US PP?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 26th 2019 at 9:44 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing will be recorded on the US passport - she needs a German passport in order to enter the UK as an EU person.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

I showed her this thread and she decided to call them and they said to her she will get a German passport. I think I misinterpreted what she told me originally!
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Update: her German passport has arrived! Now we're going to book a one-way flight from Nashville International Airport (US) to Manchester Airport (UK). Can anyone recommend comparison sites? We have agreed for her to arrive about October 21st.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 4:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Update: her German passport has arrived! Now we're going to book a one-way flight from Nashville International Airport (US) to Manchester Airport (UK). Can anyone recommend comparison sites? We have agreed for her to arrive about October 21st.
Excellent news - she’ll be in just before the Brexit door slams shut. You’ll probably find a return flight is cheaper. Try Skyscanner and Google Flights.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 5:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Excellent news - she’ll be in just before the Brexit door slams shut. You’ll probably find a return flight is cheaper. Try Skyscanner and Google Flights.
Kayak is another site I've had some success with.

Agree re return flights usually being cheaper - OP you can cancel the return flight after arriving in the UK and may be refunded the tax portion of that flight.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also try the airline’s websites...they are sometimes the cheapest.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear she received the German passport and that we could be of help. Best of luck to both of you.

The least expensive option I see is $247 leaving Nashville on the 22nd. It is a 3 flight ticket, long (28 hours total travel time), and no bag allowance included. Found that on kayak.com

Besides the regular options, try vayama.com. They have had some very good deals from usa to eu for certain city pairs and dates. You can see the prices and flight times online but have to call to book, I've done it and can confirm it is valid. Flew for 632 return on a flight that was 2200 on every other booking site. They're selling excess inventory for airlines that don't want to mark down the flights through the search sites for business reasons. They have a flight for 432 one way, 12 hours travel time total. Also, the prices you see will be higher if you are using your phone to look a the site versus computer.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for the replies. I did see a two stop flight on skyscanner for £338 (14 hours) one way which looked decent. We'll take all the advice in mind
Old Sep 11th 2019, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Provided she is here before the Brexit deadline (she doesn't have a NINO yet of course), will she be allowed to stay if no deal Brexit occurs on 31 October? I have researched the pre-settled status and it says you need a NINO to apply. A NINO in itself takes around 2 months. But she will not be a resident until then I think? And does she need to be registered at my address pre-Brexit to qualify too (just being extra careful on what "living in the UK" means in this context)
Old Sep 11th 2019, 6:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Provided she is here before the Brexit deadline (she doesn't have a NINO yet of course), will she be allowed to stay if no deal Brexit occurs on 31 October? I have researched the pre-settled status and it says you need a NINO to apply. A NINO in itself takes around 2 months. But she will not be a resident until then I think? And does she need to be registered at my address pre-Brexit to qualify too (just being extra careful on what "living in the UK" means in this context)
She doesn’t need a NINO before 31 October but she does need to be in the UK by 31 October and have evidence that she was.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
She doesn’t need a NINO before 31 October but she does need to be in the UK by 31 October and have evidence that she was.
OK her flight is 29 October and she will arrive on 30 October. Hopefully the flight ticket will be enough proof to apply.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Update: well we ended up booking with British Airways on Tuesday 29 October. I noticed that BA recently went on strike, and Thomas Cook went under too... I just hope that her flight is fine. Rebooking at this point would cost about £2300 looking from a glance which is almost £2000 more than we are paying right now so I could really do without rebooking. Does anyone know what time in advance industrial action can be announced? Or is it arbitrary with no warning period? I read that the BA pilots are allowed to strike any time from now up until January... hoping for the best
Old Sep 28th 2019, 4:59 pm

Strike was called off; you should be fine but keep an eye on the news.