UK man seeking to marry US woman and both settle UK

Old Jul 21st 2019, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Zezima is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK man seeking to marry US woman and both settle UK

I'm a 23 year old man seeking to bring over my 25 year old Internet girlfriend to the UK to live with me. I have been reading on the various routes for her to settle here but I'm not sure on the most efficient or cost effective or quickest route to do it. Here is our circumstances:

I'm British born and always resided in the UK. I have my own home that I own by mortgage and also work a job that is £26,000. My parents are both British citizens.

She is American and always resided in the US. She owns her own home outright and works a job that is about $50,000. Her mother is German and father is American, but my girlfriend only has US citizenship.

In a couple months we are going to meet for the first time in which she will stay at mine for 6 months on a general visit to the UK. Assuming everything is swell and dandy, we intend to marry. We are aware she will have to go back to the states after the 6 months stay ends to apply for a visa, but how should we go about it? Thanks

​​

Last edited by Zezima; Jul 21st 2019 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK man seeking to marry US woman and both settle UK

Your girlfriend most likely acquired German citizenship automatically. She should apply for her passport before she leaves to the UK, even for the short visit. I have included a link to passport applications in the USA and a page that shows how one acquired German citizenship (from the mother here).

Passport applications USA

Information on how one squires German citizenship
Old Jul 21st 2019, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. I will show her those pages. She is not due to arrive in the UK for at least two months though. So as a German citizen she is not required to have a visa to marry me in the UK then? Is she allowed to register my address as her living address with German citizenship?

On another note, if Britain crashes out of the EU with no deal later this year, will it render her German citizenship pointless in order to settle here?

Last edited by Zezima; Jul 21st 2019 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zezima
Thanks for the reply. I will show her those pages. She is not due to arrive in the UK for at least two months though. So as a German citizen she is not required to have a visa to marry me in the UK then? Is she allowed to register my address as her living address with German citizenship?

On another note, if Britain crashes out of the EU with no deal later this year, will it render her German citizenship pointless in order to settle here?
she can apply for pre-settled status as EU citizen. She hasn’t to have started living in Uk before 31 December 2020 or by when uk leaves eu without a deal.

Settled and pre-settled status
Old Jul 21st 2019, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Great stuff! I think it is a no brainer that we will take advantage of her German descent in order to get her to settle here then, as it is way less tedious compared to applying through visas. Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 21st 2019, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Update: so we have looked at the documentation required for her to get a German passport and she needs a US citizenship document. Apparently she lost hers when she was moving houses many years ago and never replaced it. A replacement document costs $555 (not an issue) but also requires about 5-6 months to process. The passport takes around 2 months to process. Is the German citizenship route still the best option?

Last edited by Zezima; Jul 21st 2019 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Update: so we have looked at the documentation required for her to get a German passport and she needs a US citizenship document. Apparently she lost hers when she was moving houses many years ago and never replaced it. A replacement document costs $555 (not an issue) but also requires about 5-6 months to process. The passport takes around 2 months to process. Is the German citizenship route still the best option?
she would only need a us naturalization certificate if she naturalized. You said she thought she was not a German citizen so I believe she is confused and is an American citizen by birth. Was your girlfriend naturalized or is she American by birth?
Old Jul 21st 2019, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jmin

she would only need a us naturalization certificate if she naturalized. You said she thought she was not a German citizen so I believe she is confused and is an American citizen by birth. Was your girlfriend naturalized or is she American by birth?
She is American by birth. I was reading the checklist on the link you posted. So she doesn't need the citizenship certificate if she never naturalized? Could you please tell me what documents she needs in total for the German passport?

Edit: I see it says US passport instead of the citizenship document which is fine as she has it

Last edited by Zezima; Jul 21st 2019 at 11:22 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

She is American by birth. I was reading the checklist on the link you posted. So she doesn't need the citizenship certificate if she never naturalized? Could you please tell me what documents she needs in total for the German passport?

Edit: I see it says US passport instead of the citizenship document which is fine as she has it
Evidence of USA citizenship is a passport or american birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad. Citizenship certificates are only for those who naturalized.

I do not have German citizenship and would suggest that you contact the German embassy to determine the required documents. I do not believe she needs to apply for a German certificate of citizenship before lodging the German passport application but perhaps she will. In any case, she will need to show her mother was German at the time of her birth (mother's German passport) and might also need the parents marriage certificate and the mother's USA naturalization certificate, if she eventually did become an American citizen. There is not a dual citizenship issue because one of the exceptions is relevant to your girlfriend (birth in a country with birth right citizenship or other citizenship flowing from the other parent).

It would be best to contact the embassy to submit the correct application in the first place and avoid document related delays. If you want to help, call and pose the same situation, but with you as the applicant, to the German embassy in the UK and ask what documents would be required and whether you can lodge the passport application straight away.

Do let us know how this progresses.

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jmin
Evidence of USA citizenship is a passport or american birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad. Citizenship certificates are only for those who naturalized.

I do not have German citizenship and would suggest that you contact the German embassy to determine the required documents. I do not believe she needs to apply for a German certificate of citizenship before lodging the German passport application but perhaps she will. In any case, she will need to show her mother was German at the time of her birth (mother's German passport) and might also need the parents marriage certificate and the mother's USA naturalization certificate, if she eventually did become an American citizen. There is not a dual citizenship issue because one of the exceptions is relevant to your girlfriend (birth in a country with birth right citizenship or other citizenship flowing from the other parent).

It would be best to contact the embassy to submit the correct application in the first place and avoid document related delays. If you want to help, call and pose the same situation, but with you as the applicant, to the German embassy in the UK and ask what documents would be required and whether you can lodge the passport application straight away.

Do let us know how this progresses.
Well, her mother had her German passport taken off her by her grandmother after they moved to the US many many years ago... so it looks like this route will not be an option for us. I think we will just have to bite the bullet and go through a spouse visa instead. Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, her mother had her German passport taken off her by her grandmother after they moved to the US many many years ago... so it looks like this route will not be an option for us. I think we will just have to bite the bullet and go through a spouse visa instead. Thanks!
Surely there must be ways of proving her mother was German. Does her mother have a German birth certificate? If not perhaps this can be obtained from the relevant authority in Germany.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Surely there must be ways of proving her mother was German. Does her mother have a German birth certificate? If not perhaps this can be obtained from the relevant authority in Germany.
She does have her birth certificate. But it would have her maiden name. I think her birth certificate, US passport and maybe marriage certificate will be enough
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She does have her birth certificate. But it would have her maiden name. I think her birth certificate, US passport and maybe marriage certificate will be enough
Sounds like a plan. Gather as much evidence as you possible can.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Update: so she and her mother went to one of those places. They verified she can get dual citizenship through her mother and supplied all required documentation, and said it will take a couple to a few weeks to get her dual citizenship. Apparently they had all they needed for it to happen, so fingers crossed it happens soon so we can book the flights ASAP before Brexit!
Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Update: so she and her mother went to one of those places. They verified she can get dual citizenship through her mother and supplied all required documentation, and said it will take a couple to a few weeks to get her dual citizenship. Apparently they had all they needed for it to happen, so fingers crossed it happens soon so we can book the flights ASAP before Brexit!
Glad to hear it and hope everything works out. It should be the simpler option plus she will always have a German passport now. Let us know when she receives it or whether she encounters any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.