UK Citizenship By Descent?

Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

rilhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizenship By Descent?

Hi All,

I have read your wiki and it seems based on that I would be eligable for UK citizenship by descent. But I can't find any offical UK information, it all refers to being born by a british mother (pre 1983). My situation is:

- Born in Canada in 1981
- Father was born in the UK and holds dual Canadian/UK citizenship

So:

1. Am I eligable for UK citizenship by descent?
2. Can anyone point me to an offical UK web site that would confirm that?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizenship By Descent?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/

Although if your parents are unmarried, you are probably out of luck.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

If you are British, great! Note that if you have children in Canada, they can be registered as British citizens if you do it within 365 days of their birth. If you have children in the UK, they will automatically be British citizens.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewillow
If you are British, great! Note that if you have children in Canada, they can be registered as British citizens if you do it within 365 days of their birth.
Not if you're a British citizen by descent and have never lived in the UK or a British territory.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Sorry. I stand corrected. In a couple of cases I know, that is the case.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not if you're a British citizen by descent and have never lived in the UK or a British territory.
My grandson born in Canada has UK citizenship because his father (my son) was born in the UK. He got his UK passport 3 years ago.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Keith
My grandson born in Canada has UK citizenship because his father (my son) was born in the UK. He got his UK passport 3 years ago.
I wasn't suggesting anything to the contrary ...
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

Sorry. I stand corrected. In a couple of cases I know, that is the case.
Full explanation of law/options is at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

rilhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/

Although if your parents are unmarried, you are probably out of luck.
My parents were married so it looks like I'm British!

So if what I've found is correct that means I don't need to apply to become a citizen, I just need to get a passport? Is that correct?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:14 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by rilhouse
My parents were married so it looks like I'm British!

So if what I've found is correct that means I don't need to apply to become a citizen, I just need to get a passport? Is that correct?
That appears to be correct. Don't assume anything until you have your passport and don't leave things until the last minute. If your parents married after you were born, then you will have a lot more hassle in terms of documentation.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:44 am
Just Joined

antonyclark is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are British, great! Note that if you have children in Canada, they can be registered as British citizens if you do it within 365 days of their birth. If you have children in the UK, they will automatically be British citizens.
Has that 365 days been changed to 18 years? The Borders Citizenship and Nationality Bill became law on 21 July 2009. See Clause 43.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:11 am
Just Joined

antonyclark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Full explanation of law/options is at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent
I edited this slightly to take account of the recent change to British law (see clause 43 of the Borders Citizenship and Nationality Act 2009). JAJ, please check I got it absolutely right.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by antonyclark
I edited this slightly to take account of the recent change to British law (see clause 43 of the Borders Citizenship and Nationality Act 2009). JAJ, please check I got it absolutely right.
True ... except that element of the law is not yet in force.