UK citizen relocating my family to the UK summer 2019

Old Oct 1st 2018, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

AbbiD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen relocating my family to the UK summer 2019

Thank you in advance for any help. I have combed over this site and the gov.uk site and I am hoping for some help interpreting the information.
I am British citizen who moved to US and has not lived or worked in the UK since 2004. My husband is a US citizen and I have had 1 child in the US, with another one arriving next month. We are looking to sell our house in spring, then all move home to the UK in July/Aug 2019.

Which visa for my husband
I see the recommendation on another thread here that states that there will be an initial visa for 2.5 years, then a 2.5 extension then an ILR.
1. Should we initially apply for a spousal visa or is there another option such as visit visa and then apply from the UK for something more? I read there can be other options to save money.
2. What is the cost for the spousal visa? (I see on the fees posted here a settlement visa cost of $3250, not sure if this is the spousal visa).
3. Should we apply before leaving here or when we are in UK?

Child passports
1. Can and should I apply for UK passports for my children born here? Not sure if this will save us time or money or if it will help our application.

Timing
I read here that they will give us an entry date – is that very specific and can you request a window of time on the form? When should we apply if we are intending to move our whole family July/Aug 2019?
Timelines seem to vary.

Proving ability to support ourselves:
We won’t have cash savings in our account above the amount required until we sell our house – hopefully April 2019. According to the gov.uk it says you can use money from a pension as income. If this includes a private retirement account then we have this in an IRA already.
1. Can a private US IRA account be used? We will still have access to this in the UK at the designated age.

Thank you once again!
Abbi
Old Oct 1st 2018, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen relocating my family to the UK summer 2019

You, the Brit citizen, must sponsor your husband for a settlement spouse visa (unless he has some British/European Ancestry he can use to obtain another passport). You will initially obtain a 2.5 year visa, then renew for another 2.5 years; at which point he can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

He cannot enter the UK as a visitor and then apply for a spouse visa from within the UK. He must apply from the US. Read the website below:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

You can apply up to 6 months before you intend to move.

Get your children's passports before you move

Your savings need to be in cash form i.e readily available for your use - you cannot use a pension fund which is only available to you at pension age

If you intend to use cash savings only, and these will be from the sale of your home, you apply once the necessary amount (62,500 GBP) is in your bank account.

Visa fee is currently USD 2,063.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 11:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen relocating my family to the UK summer 2019

To add to SanDiegogirl’s excellent advice your spouse will have a 30 day window to enter the UK. You can specify an entry date up to six months in advance so if you intend to enter the UK by July/August then you can apply as early as January.