UK Citizen moving with US Spouse

Old Dec 23rd 2016, 6:03 am
Just Joined

ShepherdUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen moving with US Spouse

I've been doing as much research as possible on a spousal visa but still have a few questions that I would like to clarify

Married to my USA citizen husband for 4 years, but ready to get back home to the UK. We are applying for the spouse visa. He is the "breadwinner" in the family, however up until Oct I was working. It was a non-salaried employment - so lets say I get our application in for Jan 1st, will they just add up the total amount from Jan 1 - Oct 8th (when I finished) and as long as that adds up to the 18,600 we are good to go?

When does the date start for the financial requirement? As it was non-salary and I'm not currently employed, I'm trying to figure out the date I have to go off to figure out my total salary. Is it the date the application is received by them?

Lastly, once the visa is approved - how long from the approval date do we have to move? I've read both 30 days and 3 months so I just want to clarify.

Thank you for any help!
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen moving with US Spouse

You can't use the job you had from Jan-Oct 2016 to qualify even if it did earn you over 18,600 GBP per annum unless you also have a job to go to in the UK starting within 3 months of return and also earning you over 18,600 GBP per annum.

Read the following document to see how you can qualify with other options: savings/investments etc. OR YOU, as the Brit citizen, returns to the UK, gets a job and then applies after 6 months.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Once the visa is issued you have 30 days in which to return to obtain your BRP document.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, you could apply with a savings of 62,500 GBP and then no salary requirements would be required. There is also the opportunity to use a combined figure of salary and savings.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Alternatively, you could apply with a savings of 62,500 GBP and then no salary requirements would be required. There is also the opportunity to use a combined figure of salary and savings.
It's £62,400, but if mixing salary and savings remember that the first £16,000 doesn't count so, say, if you have salary of £9,300 (half of £18,600), then you need half the savings which is (£62,400-£16,000)/2+£16,000, which equals £39,200. The requirement to have held savings in the bank for six months is waived if the money came from the sale of real estate, such as your home.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 25th 2016 at 1:36 am.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's £62,400
Actually, no, it is 62,500.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 12:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Actually, no, it is £62,500.
Ooops, my fault.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 1:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's £62,400, but if mixing salary and savings remember that the first £16,000 doesn't count so, say, if you have salary of £9,300 (half of £18,600), then you need half the savings which is (£62,400-£16,000)/2+£16,000, which equals £39,200. The requirement to have held savings in the bank for six months is waived if the money came from the sale of real estate, such as your home.
A more general and more useful formula for mixed income and saving is:

S = 2.5x(18600-I) +16000

I = annual income
S= required savings amount