Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Moving Home to UK, My wife and Children and US citizens. Where do I start

Thinking of Moving Home to UK, My wife and Children and US citizens. Where do I start

Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of Moving Home to UK, My wife and Children and US citizens. Where do I start

Hi All,

Its been a very long time since I have been on here. Its been 5 years since I moved to the States. I am a permanent Resident on a 10 year Green card at the moment. I live just outside Chicago I have a wife of 7 years, a 3 year old son and another boy on the way. In the next couple of years I am considering moving us all back.

Firstly, My son still needs his UK citizenship The UK Consulate in Chicago embarrassingly bad. They won't help with anything. How do I do this.

Secondly, The Gov for Moving back with my family are more confusing the the US ones were! Where do I start and whats the requirements of me?

Please if anyone can help I would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks

Gary
Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of Moving Home to UK, My wife and Children and US citizens. Where do I s

Update, I am Fully British, Not by Decent. I am reading that I can just apply for my sons passport,

Do I need a British Birth certificate for him?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of Moving Home to UK, My wife and Children and US citizens. Where do I s

Just apply for your son's passport, he's already a British citizen: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Is your wife a US citizen? If so, you'll need to sponsor her & meet the financial requirements:
https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family

The subject is quite extensively covered in the wiki.

Lastly, consider getting your US citizenship before returning to the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 1:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent then your US-born children will automatically be British citizens by descent. You can register their births with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK in order to obtain their consular birth certificates. Whilst recommendable it is not a prerequisite to applying for their British passports.

You, as the British citizen, will need to meet certain financial requirements in order to sponsor your wife for a spouse visa. These are considered quite onerous and the Home Office will have no compunction in refusing your wife's application if you do not provide sufficient or correct evidence that demonstrate you meet these requirements. A general overview is available on the wiki.

Does your wife have any recent European ancestry, parents, grandparents or great-grandparents? If so she may be eligible for an EU/EEA passport which would allow her to avoid having to apply for a spouse visa.