Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Is teaching English a sufficient job for Surinder Singh Route EEA Family Permit?

Is teaching English a sufficient job for Surinder Singh Route EEA Family Permit?

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Lozikinz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Is teaching English a sufficient job for Surinder Singh Route EEA Family Permit?

Hi guys,

I've made a few posts on here before but just to let you know, I'm Lauren, I'm a British citizen, and I'm getting married to my Brazilian fiancé at Christmas time. Then, we're planning to move to Lisbon, Portugal at the end of January. We will live and work here for a few months to apply for the EEA Family Permit under the Surinder Singh route.

So, here's the point I'm getting at. I've read that I need to work for a minimum of 10 or 12 (can't remember which - anyone know?) hours per week to qualify for the permit. I'm just wondering if I can teach English in Lisbon? Would that qualify for the route? Anyone having the same experience?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Re: Is teaching English a sufficient job for Surinder Singh Route EEA Family Permit?

The actual type of the job itself is not important as long as it's effective and genuine employment. As to the hours, the more the better. I wouldn't recommend that you just go for the bare minimum. I've heard people qualifying with 12 hours/week (not sure about 10), but I were you I would try to do a bit more (15 maybe). The Directive on free movement doesn't provide an exact definition as to how many hours you should be working.

Would your teaching be with a school (i.e. with a contract of employment/pay slips etc) or self-employed/freelance (where you would have to become self-employed in Portugal)?

I'm guessing you know about the O vs the Netherlands case that ruled that 3 months and a day is sufficient. Again, in order to prove that you have moved the centre of your life to the other EU country, I would plan for a bit longer.

I haven't had the same experience but I've seen people with lots of different jobs doing SS. It shouldn't be an issue.

Search for SS on Facebook - there are some good groups there.