Surinder Singh only option?

Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surinder Singh only option?

I'm living in the US with my American wife, I'm a UK Citizen (Born in the UK, still hold UK passport), we want to be closer to my family but I literally cannot see how we could satisfy the Spouse visa. Here in America I am making over 30,000 a year, but obviously after reading here I need to already be in the UK with a job, meaning I'd literally have to leave my wife for half a year? I know I'm not the first and I won't be the last to complain about that requirement, when I first moved to the US my wife's parents were able to 'co-sponsor' me with their income but as far as I know that isn't even an option for the UK Spouse visa, I do have tons of family in Ireland, with my family originally coming from there, so I'm wondering is this really my old option? To go to Ireland and then go to the UK from there after using treaty rights?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surinder Singh only option?

You only appear to know about one of two routes to a visa based on your income - there are two alternative ways to meet the income requirements to support a spouse visa for the UK:

(i) you have a job in the UK that pays at least £18,600pa and you hold that job for at least six months before you can apply for a visa for your spouse. This route likely means that you have to return to the UK ahead of your spouse and family.

OR

(ii) you have a job that pays at least £18,600 pa eqiv where you currently live AND you have a documented offer of a job paying at least £18,600pa in the UK to start within three months of your return. This route means that you can both/all return to the UK together, as a family unit.

HTH

BTW the rules on SS are already being tightened, and will almost certainly come to an end when Brexit occurs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 14th 2016 at 8:35 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You only appear to know about one of two routes to a visa based on your income - there are two alternative ways to meet the income requirements to support a spouse visa for the UK:

(i) you have a job in the UK that pays at least £18,600pa and you hold that job for at least six months before you can apply for a visa for your spouse. This route likely means that you have to return to the UK ahead of your spouse and family.

OR

(ii) you have a job that pays at least £18,600 pa eqiv where you currently live AND you have a documented offer of a job paying at least £18,600pa in the UK to start within three months of your return. This route means that you can both/all return to the UK together, as a family unit.

HTH
Ah okay that makes sense, so if I got a job offer beforehand, as long as it was over the 18,600 threshold and started within 3 months, would I apply for the visa before actually leaving for the UK in this case?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryStampeder
Ah okay that makes sense, so if I got a job offer beforehand, as long as it was over the 18,600 threshold and started within 3 months, would I apply for the visa before actually leaving for the UK in this case?
Yes..... you then move when the visa is issued.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryStampeder
Yes.
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Yes..... you then move when the visa is issued.
Or the British citizen can move immediately/first and the foreign spouse follows a few days/weeks later, as you said, when the visa is issued.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 14th 2016 at 8:38 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Yes.

Or the British citizen can move immediately/first and the foreign spouse follows a few days/weeks later, as you said, when the visa is issued.
Thanks for the help, can you point me to the link on the government website that has the application process using the job offer method, I'm struggling to find it
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

How long from time visa application made until approval received would be typical ?

Are there any advantages to going to Ireland first to speed up process ?

In my case non-EU spouse, child is British citizen.