Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Supporting Documents Checklist- Spouse visa - Savings route

Supporting Documents Checklist- Spouse visa - Savings route

Old Sep 19th 2016, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

omario2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supporting Documents Checklist- Spouse visa - Savings route

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update regarding my wife's biometric and application submission at the VFS here in Dhaka. I know it is unlikely that many will apply from here but I thought anyways to share some of the things we experienced here.

- the address of the VFS visa application centre was very confusing (the road number given was 45 whereas in fact the road number turned out to be 90) so we nearly missed her appointment because we initially went to road 45! Traffic here is horrendous which made it worse.

- the VFS staff seemed to have been very incompetent; there was no one else apart from my wife waiting but they made her wait almost one an half hours even though in the appointment confirmation it said it could take around 15 minutes only!

- the girl who was going through her documents lost one of the pages from our document piles and then had the cheeks to ask (not nicely) my wife to go and copy another for her which she had to pay (even though if was her who lost it!)

- we had photocopied all the entry/exit stamps of countries we visited together as part of proof of our joint holidays but the girl asked my wife to go and photocopy every single page of her passport (is this normal?)

- while putting back all of our documents after she had created a mess of it, she nearly stapled the wrong plane ticket with the hotel booking confirmation before my wife noticed it and pointed it out to her

all in all it was a terrible experience both for my wife and I. The staff seemed very rude and unpleasant.

We had thought that once we submit her application we would feel so relieved but because we were treated very unfairly we are left a bit shocked to be honest.

We are now worried that they may have made a mess of all documents which took us so much energy and time to prepare before sending them off to UKVI.

We applied for my wife's visitor visa in India which was handled very professionally and capably. VFS global in Dhaka really has a lot to learn from them.

Last edited by omario2016; Sep 19th 2016 at 3:27 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

dignitysami is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Supporting Documents Checklist- Spouse visa - Savings route

Hi All.

I am a Brit in South Africa. I plan to go the savings route. I have a UK savings for my wife and 2 kids( south Africans)
I plan to use the bank statements form my bank.
My concern is the accommodation part of application. I have no family left in the UK.
Can I get 1 month rental from a holiday letting agency and use this as proof of paid temporary accommodation as part of the visa application?
any idea if the letter from the short term letting agency will suffice?
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by omario2016
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update regarding my wife's biometric and application submission at the VFS here in Dhaka. I know it is unlikely that many will apply from here but I thought anyways to share some of the things we experienced here.

- the address of the VFS visa application centre was very confusing (the road number given was 45 whereas in fact the road number turned out to be 90) so we nearly missed her appointment because we initially went to road 45! Traffic here is horrendous which made it worse.

- the VFS staff seemed to have been very incompetent; there was no one else apart from my wife waiting but they made her wait almost one an half hours even though in the appointment confirmation it said it could take around 15 minutes only!

- the girl who was going through her documents lost one of the pages from our document piles and then had the cheeks to ask (not nicely) my wife to go and copy another for her which she had to pay (even though if was her who lost it!)

- we had photocopied all the entry/exit stamps of countries we visited together as part of proof of our joint holidays but the girl asked my wife to go and photocopy every single page of her passport (is this normal?)

- while putting back all of our documents after she had created a mess of it, she nearly stapled the wrong plane ticket with the hotel booking confirmation before my wife noticed it and pointed it out to her

all in all it was a terrible experience both for my wife and I. The staff seemed very rude and unpleasant.

We had thought that once we submit her application we would feel so relieved but because we were treated very unfairly we are left a bit shocked to be honest.

We are now worried that they may have made a mess of all documents which took us so much energy and time to prepare before sending them off to UKVI.

We applied for my wife's visitor visa in India which was handled very professionally and capably. VFS global in Dhaka really has a lot to learn from them.
Just to update that my wife received her visa and also to thank everyone who helped us here. It was really a big help having your feedback.

Just one more question: When my wife went to pick her visa, VFS only gave her the passport and told her that our supporting documents will arrive to them separately and they will let us know. Is this normal? We are bit concerned as they took the receipt while handing her the passport in an envelop with the letter explaining her visa etc. VFS said they should be able to call us in few days so that we can go and pick the docs up. Has this happened to you elsewhere?

Thank you all in advance
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, this is great news !

Regarding your supporting documents, my wife picked them up with her visa, but I recall that she selected this option, so maybe check back through your papers to see what you did.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

thank you! we are very happy but not as jubilant as I expected due to her still having received her supporting documents back. They only reason I can think they wanted to give her passport quicker so that we can plan our travel to the UK. She got it back on 19th of October and the vignette expires on 18th of November.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

sorry I meant **due to her NOT having received our supporting documents back. I really hope they have not lost them. We still have not received a call asking us to collect them. We are going there today to ask them for an answer!