Step Daughter and 5 year route

Old Dec 22nd 2016, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Step Daughter and 5 year route

Hi. My step daughter is 11 and entered the UK as the dependent child of my spouse, currently on her first initial 33 months visa. My spouse will be looking at applying for ILR and subsequent citizenship in the future (5 years). Will my step daughter be able to go through the same process or will this not apply to her?
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 10:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step Daughter and 5 year route

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
Hi. My step daughter is 11 and entered the UK as the dependent child of my spouse, currently on her first initial 33 months visa. My spouse will be looking at applying for ILR and subsequent citizenship in the future (5 years). Will my step daughter be able to go through the same process or will this not apply to her?
Was your stepdaughter included on your spouse's initial application to join you in the UK? If so then she will be on the same timetable as your spouse and can be included on any subsequent applications until ILR. She can apply for British citizenship in her own right after a year's further residence.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Was your stepdaughter included on your spouse's initial application to join you in the UK? If so then she will be on the same timetable as your spouse and can be included on any subsequent applications until ILR. She can apply for British citizenship in her own right after a year's further residence.
Hi. She was included on my spouses initial application. When you say 'any subsequent applications until ILR' does that mean she applies for ILR at the same time as my spouse and they can both then apply for citizenship at the same time? Thanks
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 6:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

They apply for ILR at the same time but applications for citizenship will be separate. If your step daughter is still under 18 at the time your spouse is applying to naturalise then she can lodge her application to be registered at the same time using Form MN1. If she's over 18 she will need to be eligible for naturalisation in her own right and will mean an extra year's residence after attaining ILE unless she is married to a British citizen.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They apply for ILR at the same time but applications for citizenship will be separate. If your step daughter is still under 18 at the time your spouse is applying to naturalise then she can lodge her application to be registered at the same time using Form MN1. If she's over 18 she will need to be eligible for naturalisation in her own right and will mean an extra year's residence after attaining ILE unless she is married to a British citizen.
Thats great. She will be 16 years old by then.