Dual UK and US Citizenship

Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Kismetmax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual UK and US Citizenship

Hi:

Hoping someone can help me out with my query:

I just obtained my US Citizenship. I now have Dual (UK (naturalized - Born in India) and US).

I am interested in learning, if my wife and sons - (US citizens), can:

1) Obtain UK Citizenship (through me ? [effectively making
them "Dual"), and/or
2) Obtain a UK Passport.

I currently reside F/T in the US, but would like to keep all my options open.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Yaz
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship for spouse and children??

Hi and welcome to the world of British Expats.

This is the Welcome Inn where we offer you the opportunity to introduce yourself and we let you know a little about our site.

We welcome all nationalities to BE and any information shared is information obtained through education and/or more importantly through experience.

I wish to take this opportunity to ask that you read our site rules which is listed in the header banner above.

Since you posted a question right off the bat, which is about dual citizenship (or actually perhaps three) UK, US and Indian, I am copying this post over to the Moving Back to the UK forum's immigration and citizenship site.

I'm not familiar with UK procedure for Citizenship but I don't believe it allows your wife to become a British citizen solely based on your marriage to her. Your sons, however, are different than your wife and I'm sure the kind people in the I&C forum will be happy to share with you their knowledge.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Dual UK and US Citizenship

When were your sons born - before or after you were obtained UK naturalisation? what age are they?

You wife cannot obtain British citizenship through marriage to you.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 23rd 2016 at 7:54 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 9:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Dual UK and US Citizenship

If your sons were born after you naturalised as a British citizen then they are already British citizens and you need only apply for their passports. Your wife however will need to reside in the UK for five years before she is eligible to naturalise. As a British citizen you can sponsor her for a spouse visa.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual UK and US Citizenship

Originally Posted by Kismetmax
Hi:

Hoping someone can help me out with my query:

I just obtained my US Citizenship. I now have Dual (UK (naturalized - Born in India) and US).

I am interested in learning, if my wife and sons - (US citizens), can:

1) Obtain UK Citizenship (through me ? [effectively making
them "Dual"), and/or
2) Obtain a UK Passport.

I currently reside F/T in the US, but would like to keep all my options open.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Yaz
Welcome to BE. Your thread has been moved to our UK Immigration Forum.