Standard Visitor Visa versus Private Medical Treatment

Old Jun 29th 2018, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Nnohaj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Standard Visitor Visa versus Private Medical Treatment

Hi to everyone, I am needing help in clarifying my visa application. I am a Philippine passport holder married to a British by descent husband. I am currently pregnant and would like to travel to the UK to give birth in an NHS hospital but pay for my maternity care with our own funds. We were told by one of the hospital staff that we can pay in advance the deposit fee which can cover this. Do I need to declare in my Standard visitor visa that it is a private medical treatment? Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 4:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standard Visitor Visa versus Private Medical Treatment

The Standard Visitor visa has replaced the Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa. You'll need to declare the purpose of your visit on your Standard Visitor visa application form. If you intend to give birth in the UK then you'll need to meet the relevant requirements.

You must prove that you:

- have a medical condition that needs private consultation or treatment in the UK
- have made or paid for arrangements for consultations or treatment
- have enough money to pay for your treatment, support yourself without using public funds and pay for your return or onward journey
- will leave the UK once your treatment is completed, or when your visa expires
- are not a danger to public health if you’re suffering from an infectious disease, such as leprosy
https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/eligibility

As an aside if you give birth in Northern Ireland rather than Great Britain then your child will be eligible for both British and Irish citizenship. Irish citizenship is useful as it can be passed on indefinitely unlike British citizenship and will give your child access to an EU passport post-Brexit.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

I know it can be tricky with post brexit but will be staying with my in laws in the UK. Thanks a lot BritInParis!
Old Jul 10th 2018, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again guys, we were just advised by an immigration law firm in UK that we can’t use standard visitor visa-private medical treatment for my purpose of giving birth there even with using our own funds. Is this true? Is there anyone of you who did this route and was permitted? Please advise. Thanks a lot!